1 reply to this topic

#1 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:09 PM

I am thinking about getting a sports coil to replace my old coil on my 87 city, i was wondering if there are any improvments on putting a sports coil and if it is a easy job. However i was also thinking about getting an electronic igntion kit and some allready come with one so will it be better getting the electronic ignition kit or just the coil?

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:26 PM

You do not need a sports coil with electronic ignition, the ignition module of the electonic setup does essentially the same thing by providing a very high energy spark. Apply the same rule to any wierd little gizmos you see at shows or in papers or mags that claim to give you fat sparks or high energy ignition. Junk.

If you want to use a sports coil with conventional contact breaker ignition then that's a different matter and you will get higher energy sparks than with a standard coil, and the coil can supply them faster so theoretically it will work up to a higher red line, but you won't reach the maximum rpm of the ignition system in an A series anyway no matter what else you do to tune the engine. In theory it will be able to deliver more power but this also depends on the general tune of the engine. You will notice the difference when you fit it, but there will be more of an improvement available if you perform other tuning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users