Who can tell from a picture ?

#63 D1k1m4y

D1k1m4y

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

what is there to look for that shows wear and things and where can i buy a rebuild kit from?

#64 simdhillon

simdhillon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

There seem to be a few people interested or doing this conversion, so I thought that I would offer some advice from my own experience of building numerous 998 turbos.

firstly, see here for my latest conversion As you can see you need no engine mods and it all holds together, done 1000 miles now, no problems http://www.twin-turb...IN_20_HOURS.pdf

This used a T2 from an R5 GT turbo, this a great all round turbo for the 998, it won't boost efficiently over about 12psi, and will make a maximum of around 140bhp.

Other turbos I have used include the T3 of a metro and a GT17. The GT17 will make bags of power (160 or more I suspect) I have 155bhp and 1/4 mile times to prove it!. The T3 is a pile of junk, old technology, high inertia and enormous. The T3 will work and make 140 bhp easy, if not more but at the expense of driveability, you will not get boost below 4k, ok for track use, but little else.

Edit: I put 100 miles when it should have been 1000.

can this conversion be done on a 1275???????

#65 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

everything is the same whatever size the engine, except the cylinder head. you need a cylinder head with the chambers enlarged to drop the CR.

#66 Luipolly

Luipolly

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hello, im quite new to the mini world and i do alot of bodywork but unfortunatley dont know much about the mechanics. I want to do a 998 turbo project, i have a standard 998, what exactly in full would i need and roughly how much will it cost? Cheers

#67 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hello, im quite new to the mini world and i do alot of bodywork but unfortunatley dont know much about the mechanics. I want to do a 998 turbo project, i have a standard 998, what exactly in full would i need and roughly how much will it cost? Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum. Firstly have a look through all the threads on this site and most of you questions will be answered.

Next have a look here

Clicky

for more information on how Wil turbo'ed his 998 and also some of the modifications you should be making to the engine.

And finally check out the turbo minis forum which has a wealth of information.

Turbo Minis forum

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 26 May 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#68 Luipolly

Luipolly

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

Ok thanks alot for the help mate, apprecitated :P

#69 Luipolly

Luipolly

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

would this head be ok for a turbo conversion?
http://www.minisport...nder_Heads.html

#70 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

If it;s a 12G295 and has 28cc chambers then should be ok. the thing I would say is speak to Turbo Phill, as you'd be better spending the money with him and get a head that will definately be ok.

Generally heads, turbo or non-turbo, are all the same. The main differance in the A-series head is that you need enlarged chambers and good quality exhaust valves. I'm not sure what Phill does, but the exhaust valve guides can be reemed over sized to reduce the chance of the valves 'nipping up'; a common occurance.

#71 simdhillon

simdhillon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

where do you get all the piping from??? and what cylinder head would you use for a 1293??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users