7 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:21 PM

How difficult is it too fit a 1275 metro lump in a 1987 mayfair 998?
Is it just a simple engine swap?
I'm aware the mounts are the same will i need all the extra bits off the metro?

Also any suggestions for cheap insurers for young drivers with modified cars? Miniworld quoted me £1100 with 1275 metro engine in.

Kinda need a new engine as my standard 998 didn't agree with an Mg head, shud've looked into it before bolting it on i think!

Hope you can help
thanks

James

#2 Rob

Rob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:22 AM

I'm aware the mounts are the same will i need all the extra bits off the metro?

The mounts are not the same. You need to take the mounts off the 998 and put them on the metro engine but only if they are in good condition. The drive shafts should be the same but the gearing will be different if you use the metro gearbox thus the speedo will be reading incorrect.

You will need to drill the head on the metro head for the heater unless there is another way around it.

When I put a MG engine in mine I didn't need anything from the metro.

Sorry, cant really answer questions on young driver insurance on modded minis cus mine wasn't declared with the engine. DO NOT DO THIS. Im a bit older and wiser now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:13 AM

How much of the 1300 are you gettting from the metro, does this include carb, radiator etc... also what type of starter / clutch is your current 998, as a metro will be a pre-engaged starter on a verto clutch.

Miniron's right, you may have to drill the head for the heater takeoff, and also the thermostat eng may need changing, and it likely you'll be using the radiator from your 998, so you're also going to need a 1300 radiator bracket.

Had you thought of sticking with a 998 ?

#4 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:58 AM

I'm looking for a bit more power and i know of an availiable Mg metro engine so just thought i'd c what was involved.
i have a 12G940 head this has the heater outlet on it i guess this would fit?

Do you not think it is worth the effort?

thanks for replys
James

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:18 AM

A 12G940 with a heater outlet will be from something other than the MG Metro, (that is if the heater outlet is original and hasn't been added by someone). What this means is that it will have smaller inlet valves than the one on your MG lump, so it will loose some of the MG performance.

Being an '87 car your Mini should have the correct starter and clutch setup for the Metro engine to go straight in, but the Metro could have a cable operated clutch which will mean you need to swap the clutch release arm and some brackets which is all fairly simple.
As has been said you will need to put Mini engine mounts on it, buy a good quality uprated Mini radiator (such as a super-cool 2 core from Mini Spares Centre or any of the four core type which are widely available, but massive!) and use a Cooper type top radiator bracket and Mini bottom rad bracket/engine mount assembly. It's quite easy to drill out the heater tap location on the Metro head and that's probably the best thing to do. You need to dump the water to oil intercooler from the oil fiter head and re-do the cooling plumbing to the Mini setup. The Mini heater has traditionally used 1/2" hoses but the later A+ parts are all designed around 5/8" hoses so you might need to get hold of a couple of 1/2" to 5/8" hose adaptors which you can get at Halfords, you will probably need one at the bottom hose connection and maybe in some other places. You might also need some thin fan spacers to adjust where the fan sits and get it a decent distance from the rad core.
An ultimate engine steady is a good idea, as it putting some decent poly bushes in the standard steady bar.
Most of the new parts you need you will be able to source from the 998 which you have murdered, but some parts (such as the rad and exhaust) will have to be sourced from elsewhere.
Then you need to sort out an exhause, I'd get an LCB and an RC40 myself for the exhaust, although I'm reasonably certain that there are various exhausts which fit direct to the Metro manifold. And for the carb, it should all be OK, but you may have to change the air filter setup to clear the bulkhead.

Oh, and with the clutch (if everything is verto) don't change the whole clutch cover over as the plunger on the new engine should be set for the clutch that is fitted to it(since it is self adjusting you would need to fit a new clutch disc to get the new plnger set up correctly). But if the engine is setup for the cable clutch just chenge out the arm.

Edited by Dan, 04 February 2005 - 11:02 AM.

#6 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:44 AM

It looks standard, how difficult is it to swap the clutch and starter motor? Will have help from my Dad who can do most of this mechanical stuff!
So i guess i would need the metro clocks as well then? if i remember it's an all in 1 kind of setup? will this fit in a mini dash?

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:05 AM

Read my edited post above, sorry I must have edited it while you were replying!

The Metro gauges won't fit. I'll check through my books, but the Metro might well have the right final drive to work with your speedo anyway. If not it's fairly cheap to get your speedo calibrated by someone. Speedy Cable do this, you have to send it away but they get it back to you very quickly.

#8 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:19 PM

ok thanks guys I'll give you a call if something goes bang!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users