57 replies to this topic

#31 Phil-R

Phil-R

Formally known as chrome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

Older Haynes manuals had a really comprehensive gearbox rebuild section that was eventually dropped (At least up until 1985 but don't know how long after)

Edited by chrome, 26 September 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#32 kevspeed

kevspeed

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

WORKSHOP MANUAL? It isn't, but it might fit the bill if you haven't got one to hand

http://drcwww.uvt.nl...bogaard/manual/

Excellent site,already answered a few questions for me genius.gif

Edited by Ethel, 03 February 2022 - 01:25 PM.
Link's sadly no more

#33 Ames

Ames

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

Does anyone still have a link to the haynes manual PDF they could PM to me? I found one online but it only goes up to 1969 minis

Thanks.

#34 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

Online restoration & maintenance guide + Mini Encyclopedia

#35 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I stumbled across this site looking for a dizzy piccy.

It may be for MGB's, but it's very well put together with some great sections on fault finding, not starting etc that apply just as well to Minis.

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/points.htm

#36 sayli

sayli

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

This guide has founded incredibly useful for myself as i have lately reinstalled my website, and this guide gives you all the transforming and particular information that you will ever need.

#37 Rene

Rene

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Does the Haynes manual apply to 1275 MG Metro engine mini as well?

#38 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Yes, the engine is essentially the same. I believe there may be a few subtle differences with small items like the timing cover, maybe some of the engine options (like valve sizes) are different, but in terms of info needed to strip/rebuild/repair an engine I think it's got it all covered.

#39 Rene

Rene

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Cheers The Matt

#40 David Vizard

David Vizard

Total Legend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

Well, as mentioned earlier, here is a list of good sources of information that Mini owners should read.

Tuning BL's A Series Engine by David Vizard,

How To Modify Your Mini by David Vizard,

The trusty Haynes Manual by, well, Haynes. <--contains some useful information, great for home-servicing and repairs,

PM me some more or copy and paste and add to the list, links too!

EDIT: And I may add links to Amazon for the books that are still available too.

I am flattered that my books were at the top of your list.
Thanks

Whether you intend to actually attend my September 2012 Swansea seminar (davidvizardseminars.com) if you care to contact me via this site i will arrage for a special meeting with any one/group that wants any books autographed.

David Vizard

Edited by David Vizard, 26 January 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#41 David Vizard

David Vizard

Total Legend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

So what's better, Tuning the A-Series Engine or How to Modify Your Mini, both by David Vizard??

um depends what you are after!

the tuning the a-series is just about the engines - tells you modifications (but doesnt go anywhere into detail about good engine building)

the how to modify your mini, covers other areas of the car (but not engines in great detail)

both are really old now, and things have moved on a lot, but both are a worthwhile read..

I would like to address the line ' both are old now ------ etc'

My big 'A' series book, although some 11 years since it's last update, will still show you how to build a normally aspirated mini that will, at standard weight, go zero to 100 in 14 seconds. Let us see how many pro engine builders have the know-how to do that today let alone 15 years or more ago. Sure there are some out there but they are far and few between and most certainly will not tell you how to do it. The reason I have not bothered to update the big yellow book is that the industry at large has little more to offer that is not already in that book.

The only place I see where possibly some updates are needed is where parts I talk about are no longer available.

If you do not have the info to make over 100 hp per litre from a 5 port A Series then good luck trying to find the info anywhere else other than in this book.

David Vizard

#42 Jake Didsbury

Jake Didsbury

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Local Club: Barnsley Mini Club

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

So what's better, Tuning the A-Series Engine or How to Modify Your Mini, both by David Vizard??

um depends what you are after!

the tuning the a-series is just about the engines - tells you modifications (but doesnt go anywhere into detail about good engine building)

the how to modify your mini, covers other areas of the car (but not engines in great detail)

both are really old now, and things have moved on a lot, but both are a worthwhile read..

I would like to address the line ' both are old now ------ etc'

My big 'A' series book, although some 11 years since it's last update, will still show you how to build a normally aspirated mini that will, at standard weight, go zero to 100 in 14 seconds. Let us see how many pro engine builders have the know-how to do that today let alone 15 years or more ago. Sure there are some out there but they are far and few between and most certainly will not tell you how to do it. The reason I have not bothered to update the big yellow book is that the industry at large has little more to offer that is not already in that book.

The only place I see where possibly some updates are needed is where parts I talk about are no longer available.

If you do not have the info to make over 100 hp per litre from a 5 port A Series then good luck trying to find the info anywhere else other than in this book.

David Vizard

I was reading your 'how to modify your mini' book 2 nights ago at 1 in the morning because I got so interested, the section on the suspension has helped me so much in the understanding of under-steer and over-steer.

I also agree,no matter how old the book is, people are still reverting back to it today because the information is so helpful and true, the design of the classic mini hasn't changed (with exceptions of the injection minis) although the differences are very minor so regardless of how old the book, even in 100 years time if minis are still around the books will still provide helpful information.
Modern day mechanics, with some exceptions dont seem to have the know how of engine mechanics, whether it be upgrading or repairing and diagnosing, they seem to be electricians rather than mechanics, its good that we still have people like you David and other skilled engineers/ mechanics who still know the ins and outs of how engines work rather than just the electronics of them, so if it were not for David's books alot of us would be pretty stuck!

#43 auto110

auto110

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

I  have an auto mini (maybe not for much longer as slightly sick), you may also want to consider the early metro manuals as they have more detail about the auto boxes than the same dated mini Haynes.

Hope this helps, secondhand metro manuals can be bought for about £5.

#44 firehorse

firehorse

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

:dontgetit: Hi i noticed no manuals geared towards panel removal and replacement.... anyone know if there is such a thing????

yes there is a special issue magazine from minisport that details a ground up rebuild of one of theirs. It has good pics and hints but also a lot about mechanical bits.

#45 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Who's David Vizard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users