• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

check your engine tie bar bushes....

Eeeeeeks!!
That's foreign to me. Will Haynes enlighten me on this? :)

#17 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:48 AM

Update:

Having experimented along a very dark & thankfully empty piece of A-road on the way home last night, I've found the only way to get rind of the "Kerchunk" noise on an upshift is to hold her in neutral for a few milliseconds longer than normal, let the engine slow a bit, and then put her into gear. It seems to be all to do with engine speed, rather than the clutch.

Any thoughts, please? :o

Joooooliet
:)

#18 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

I still think clutch related, but as GW has said, check the condition of your engine tie-bar bushes.

This is the bar on the O/S of the engine, about 5" long that goes from the cross-member of the shell to the side of the engine, just under the end of the cylinder head.

Will Haynes may enlighten you, but I'm not sure if Will's about today! :)

#19 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

I still think clutch related, but as GW has said, check the condition of your engine tie-bar bushes.

This is the bar on the O/S of the engine, about 5" long that goes from the cross-member of the shell to the side of the engine, just under the end of the cylinder head.

And what do I do when I've found said tie-bar bushes? I don't what they're supposed to look like!

Will Haynes may enlighten you, but I'm not sure if Will's about today! :teehee:

:) :P :o

#20 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

get hold of the rocker cover with both hands, and rock back and forth.... any movement and the tiebar bushes need replacing...

It's likely the 'clock' is not related to be box at all, but is the tie rod or carb hitting the bulkhead because the engine's not being held in place.

#21 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:27 AM

Is it not possibly a worn or broken baulk ring. I used to get this in second gear, youd change up to second and there would be a slight clucnk from the box, if you went too fast it would deffo crunch. Thing is second gear is the most common, i dont think its so common on fourth.

My only other thought is if it was the engine steadies it would do it not only in fourth but all other gears, as well as on over run and acceleration.

Eliminate the engine steady and if it still there, it may be the baulk rings.

If there is no crunch when you select reverse, then the problem is not the clutch.

#22 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for your help guys, but.....

I had a good tug of her rocker cover this morning, and no movement. Her engine mounts have just been replaced too, & everything is rock solid. There is no crunch when I select reverse, but there is the same "kerchunk" when shifting up through all gears, unless I let the engine slow & the revs drop.

It's confusing. >_<

#23 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:42 AM

As sprocket illudes to... once you've ruled out some of the easier possibilities... then it's down to the not so easy and unfortunately expensive alternative...

Engine out, and gearbox off....

#24 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:45 AM

As sprocket illudes to... once you've ruled out some of the easier possibilities... then it's down to the not so easy and unfortunately expensive alternative...

Engine out, and gearbox off....

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
I can't have her off the road at the moment, as I have to work every day of the week & I have no other car >_< . If I carry on running her like this 'til I get a break & sort her out, so you think I'll do her some serious damage?

#25 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

I got Matilda back from W&P tonight with her new wheel arch, centre console, adjustarides & wipers fitted.

Had a really scary phone call from them this afternoon telling me the bearings had gone again & the 'box needed rebuilding. :o >_<

*heart stops & Juju falls unconscious*

It turns out that the "kerchunk" was coming from the wheel, as the hub nut was loose! ;) Bearings = fine, gearbox = fine. :teehee:

Yay for Matilda!! :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users