#1 arhl81

arhl81

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:31 PM

Hi

I have a 93 Cooper 1.3i. I've noticed (or rather, my partner noticed when driving behind me) some light plumes of smoke coming from underneath the car. The car has a Playmini sports exhaust - large bore centre exit DTM silencer - but he reckons it's coming from underneath the car rather from the exhaust. This doesn't happen constantly - he noticed it when we were on the motorway and it only came every so often and happended for about a minute or so then stopped. Both he and I have driven in town and we've not noticed anything at all. My partner also reckons he can detect a faint smell like burning rubber, but he's not sure if this happens at the same time as the smoke. He reckons it may either be oil from under the engine being burnt or a cylinder not firing. I've not noticed any change in the performance of the car - it still runs well, although I generally never take it above 70mph. Would anyone else be able to shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:58 PM

If the exhaust is not blowing then chances are its oil dripping onto the exhaust. May also be the raiator venting, is there enough water in the radiator?

Have a look under the car and if the bottom of the engine and front floor pan is wet with oil then you have an oil leak. Another tell tail is oil leaks normaly leave a patch on the drive/ road after being left for a period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users