#1 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

Just got a call from my local garage to say the Mini's failed its MOT on..

one front ball joint need replacing

front headlamp not working on 'dim' - Do i have to replace the whole light or just a bulb?

handbrake not working correctly - Dont know what he means by this? Im going down to garage to find out what he means, because i know when i pull it up it stops the car fine! :S

and emissions! - bought an lcb and exhaust system from maniflow that came complete with lambda sensor, the mechanic thinks it could be the cat if its not to do with the sensor.
im also worried it could be the 52mm throttle body (minsport do warn it could effect emissions) iv fitted from burlen.. - do you fellas think this could be the problem?

Just spent 250 quid on the suspension ect (new cones, hilos, gaz adjusters, new brake pads) on monday n'all, iv got a feeling im going to be skint for another month >_<

Edited by CooperTrooper, 03 October 2007 - 11:21 AM.

#2 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Giles,

Likely hood is that the throttle body would cause more fuel to be injected to counterbalance extra air so could be overfuelling. I doubt the cat has gone but you have done a bit of modifying hence the emissions would be slightly out anyway. You need a friendly MOT guy. Did you take it straight to him cold this morning or run it first? did you ever fit the power boost valve and did you get it set up?

Handbrake - has to hold the car on three clicks, common mini problem probably the rear brackets have siezed and only one side of the car is holding properly, you need to check the brakes for this.

Headlamp - replace the bulb.

Ball joint - fairly simple to do make sure you keep the shims from the old joint as this will help you if you need to shim it up. Would recommend doing both ball joints and track rod ends at same time. saves work later.

#3 Harry Beaver

Harry Beaver

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

mmm, I did post a week or so back asking about the effect of the Lambda position on most LCB's, apparently im the Y piece on the headers is not good as this only measures cyl 1 & 4, they normally run leaner that 2 &3 so the ECO thinks the engine is lean, so then adjusts the mixture.

Un the y piece where all the pipes join is good as it is an average of all of the cyls

#4 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:03 PM

Harry if this was the case you would get bore wash on the other cylinders due to over fueling.

I think Giles' problem is more than likely down to the fact he has modified his car quiet abit, therefore effecting the fueling.

#5 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

Dev,

I did take it down cold this morning, the garage i use are good friendly people and have helped me out loads in the past.
I still need to fit the power boost valve but was not planning on doing that till early next year due to funds or 'the lack of'.

Iv still got the stock TB aswell, but didnt think this burlen one would seriously effect emmisions.. (maybe i thought wrong)

So, do ball joint and track rod ends together? Are they expensive as im strapped for ca$h at the mo.

#6 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

Minispares are your friends giles.
If you buy them think should come to about 40 quid(?) could be slightly out on that though.
If you then do them yourself its free obviously, but if i remember correctly i asked a local garage and they charged £120.

I did mine myself, but you will need to get it tracked afterwards at a cost of about 16 quid.

As the power boost valve is not on tis could be the problem as the fueling might not be set up right.

#7 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

Minispares are your friends giles.
If you buy them think should come to about 40 quid(?) could be slightly out on that though.
If you then do them yourself its free obviously, but if i remember correctly i asked a local garage and they charged £120.

I did mine myself, but you will need to get it tracked afterwards at a cost of about 16 quid.

As the power boost valve is not on tis could be the problem as the fueling might not be set up right.

How did yours fair at MOT dev after you had your st.4 head and lcb ect on? No problems?

The cat looks a bit suspect and may not be doing its job properly after all its 9 years old and the garage said it looked manky last time they had it off..

would the TB really make that much difference?

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

If you are strapped for cash I would leave the track rod ends as they have not been highlighted on the test as failure items (although worth asking them if they are on their way I suppose).

They are not that hard to replace on their own later (hour's job) and not doing them would probably save the need for a tracking session immediately.

#9 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

CAT?

What CAT?

mine sailed through mate, did fail on the ball joints though. i learn to do them myself if i was you mate. Its a once a year job. price you pay for 13's.

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

What did the emissions actualy fail on. The figures give you a really good idea where to look for the problem.

What are the following figures and if you have the limits post them up also. You should have a copy of your emissions test

Natural idle CO%

Natural Idle HC ppm

Fast Idle CO%

Fast Idle HC ppm

Lambda

#11 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:58 AM

What did the emissions actualy fail on. The figures give you a really good idea where to look for the problem.

What are the following figures and if you have the limits post them up also. You should have a copy of your emissions test

Natural idle CO%

Natural Idle HC ppm

Fast Idle CO%

Fast Idle HC ppm

Lambda

It says on the Refusal MOT notice:

''Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits''

I also got failed on both front indicators being incorrect colour when there is orange bulbs in them! And one of the units only got changed a month ago! bananas!

I also did not get a copy of the emissions test should i be go down to the garage and demand it?

Edited by CooperTrooper, 04 October 2007 - 09:00 AM.

#12 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

you can fail on bulbs not being orange enough mate.

i suggest you take it to a different garage if they were that picky.

#13 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

you can fail on bulbs not being orange enough mate.

i suggest you take it to a different garage if they were that picky.

think your right mate, the garage i took it too dont actully do the test, they take it to a place near by. They did it bloody quick aswell, dropped car off at 9:15 got the print out at 10:38!

#14 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

Should only take an hour mate if that.
Just be wary, some garages are very fussy with things others know what to expect from a mini and are more tolerant.

#15 Harry Beaver

Harry Beaver

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

Harry if this was the case you would get bore wash on the other cylinders due to over fueling.

I think Giles' problem is more than likely down to the fact he has modified his car quiet abit, therefore effecting the fueling.

Tell that to everyone who has failed an emissions test with an LCB on, the immediately passed once the std exhaust is back on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users