miniminimini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local Club: POSH

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:21 PM

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help please - my mini has started to make a bubbling noise in the water container - it
almost sounds as if its a kettle boiling. Has anyone had this and know what it is please?
All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers
:dontgetit:

#2 Major Burkenshaw

Major Burkenshaw

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton mini club

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

Have you checked the expansion bottle for cracks and made sure the cap is secure? Is it actually leaking coolant?

#3 miniminimini

miniminimini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:34 PM

Have you checked the expansion bottle for cracks and made sure the cap is secure? Is it actually leaking coolant?

Hi - thanks for replying - I've checked for cracks etc and its not got any and its not leaking - the water is bubbling away and the noise it quite loud. Its all very new to me as I am a first time mini owner of 3 months

#4 1964Works

1964Works

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

Hi - thanks for replying - I've checked for cracks etc and its not got any and its not leaking - the water is bubbling away and the noise it quite loud. Its all very new to me as I am a first time mini owner of 3 months

OK could be one of two things. An air lock in the system or a blown headgasket. Have you overheated it recently? Have you done much high speed M Way driving?

What colour is the oil on the dip stick? Does it look like coffee?

Could also be water pump.....possibly. Need a bit more info off you.

When did it start, have you had problems before, have you had it in a garage for any work??

I'll try my best to help.

#5 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Local Club: NWMC

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:25 PM

welcome to TMFFF !!! :dontgetit:

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

Moved to Injection Technical, you should get a better response in there! :dontgetit:

Welcome to TMF! :P

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

I find it a bit difficult to understand the symptoms of this. Which bottle? where? and at what engine temperature is this happening?

If this is the white looking bottle under the near side wing above the damper, then this is an expantion tank. In this type of cooling system, the radiator is filled to the very top of the filler neck, a special cap is used to allow any expantion of the coolant escape to the expantion tank under the wing. when the engine cools down and the coolant contracts, the coolant that was expelled to the expantion tank is drawn back in.

Bubbling sound could be air being pushed out of the rad? if it is not filled to the brim leaving an air gap at the top of the rad? Could also be the fact that the rad cap is also passing and the coolant system is not performing as efficiently as it should resulting in the coolant boiling, it is this passing steam from the rad cap that you can hear bubbling through the coolant still in the expantion tank.

The above is speculation as to what you may be hearing??

#8 miniminimini

miniminimini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:04 PM

:(

OK could be one of two things. An air lock in the system or a blown headgasket. Have you overheated it recently? Have you done much high speed M Way driving?

When did it start, have you had problems before, have you had it in a garage for any work??

Thanks 1964works - I havent done any motorway driving recently, and its not overheated. Problem started yesterday evening when I turned the engine off from a 30 min drive home. It hasnt done it today however, which is a bit bizaree. It was in for some work this week, so I am going to call them on Monday and see what they say. Will report back when I know.

Thanks everyone for responding

cheers

#9 miniminimini

miniminimini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:04 PM

:(

Thanks 1964works - I havent done any motorway driving recently, and its not overheated. Problem started yesterday evening when I turned the engine off from a 30 min drive home. It hasnt done it today however, which is a bit bizaree. It was in for some work this week, so I am going to call them on Monday and see what they say. Will report back when I know.

Thanks everyone for responding

cheers

#10 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

Mine does it often enough after a long drive- nothing to do with a head gasket problem or over heating - simply the expansion tank letting off hot gas... usually happens if youve recently topped up the coolant and there a lot of gas dissolved in the water mix.

Nothing too overly concerning, but just make sure you dont overfill the tank - always keep the MAX line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users