#1 D3nch

D3nch

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Local Club: "The Boys are Back"

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

I am currently wiring in fuel pump to my 1275 GT. After being told it needs a oil pressure switch, i have gone out and bought one.

I have had a look for the "Oil Gallery Opoening" and it looks like there is something like a switch there, but with one terminal.

The instructions go on about a normally closed (s) which i dont know where that is, or a normally open (i)

Does this mean i need not fit my new one, as it looks like there is an oil switch present, or do i need to fit my new one? Its very confusing!

My new one looks different to the old, and im just trying to work out in my head how it all fits...

Any advice welcome!!

Thanks Adam

Im trying to get pics up but cam not connecting!

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:30 PM

sounds like you aready have one fitted

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

You will already have an oil pressere sender in the block to turn the oil warning light on and off. I would not piggy back this sender though as it may affect how reliable the light is. Instead get a t-piece from MiniSpares or similar so you can fit both switches/senders.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

You don't need an oil pressure switch to run a leccy fuel pump...

The idea in using one is to switch off the pump for safety in the event of a crash or other failure that stopped the engine even if the ignition is still on.

The mini's switch is normally closed meaning when the engine is running oil pressure opens the contacts so turning the warning light off.

You could use either type of switch (open or closed) by using a relay.

To find out what type the new switch is just rig up a simple bulb circuit if the light stays on it's normally closed.

Edited by Ethel, 19 October 2007 - 03:51 PM.

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

Of course and inertia switch would probably be better than the oil pressure switch...

#6 D3nch

D3nch

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Local Club: "The Boys are Back"

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

couldnt source an intertia switch dr jammy...

At the moment, i can have the engine turn over, but no pump, or i can have pump (when twisting key on start) but no engine turning....

Running the live off of the starter solenoid, and the 2nd live off the ignition from the oil pressure warning light feed....

in theory this should allow the pump to pump when cranking to start, and then run when pressure is built (engine running)

At the moment, i could wire it so that i have the pump running when the 2nd click of the key is turned, but that doesnt allow a cut out, so i would need an inertia switch that i cant source...

Darn...

Im going to have my friend have a look at it with a multi meter and go from there... The t-peice that is spoken of, anyone got a part number, so i can get an idea of what you reccomend???

If you think that is a better idea, i would rather do that!

Thanks for your help on this very badly explained (on my part) subject!

Add

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users