7 replies to this topic

#1 Danny-T

Danny-T

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:55 PM

After finally getting my mini started (Hooray! - only been sat rotting for 4 years!) seems as if I need to replace the head gasket - lots of white smoke p*ssing out of the back of the engine and runs more like a boat than a car?

I plan to tackle this over the weekend, have never done it before so was wondering if anyone can offer any pointers?

Also what will I need other than the gasket set which I already have? I think I've got all the tools i'll need but not too sure about what i'll need in terms of cleaning, lubricating and re-sealing?

Finally, I've read the Haynes is your friend when tacking this, however I can't seem to find anything specific about replacing head gaskets! I'm assuming somewhere around cylinder head is where I need to be looking?

Cheers for any help!

#2 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:03 AM

sounds more like a manifold gasket than a head gasket...

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

White smoke is water (steam), blueish smoke is oil and black is fuel. Either way it doesn't sound good and I would recommend you take the head off to have a look. It could be a cracked head, cracked block, or hopefully the head gasket.

Tools that immediately spring to mind are torque wrench, scraper (to get every bit of old gasket off. Do you know the tigthening sequence for the head bolts?

#4 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:54 PM

shake the pushrods as you take them out otherwise you risk lifting the cam followers out and they are an arse to get them back in on a 1275!

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

Get some fresh petrol in and take it for a short run provided you have oil pressure.

If it's been stood that long it could easily have picked up enough moisture to smoke.

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

shake the pushrods as you take them out otherwise you risk lifting the cam followers out and they are an arse to get them back in on a 1275!

?????

Please explain :P

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

If the fuel is four years old, drain it and use new. Use a tank of Vpower at first, this will give everything a good clean. As said, it may well be steam, water settled in the exhaust.

I would still be tempted to replace the head gasket as i have seen these rot through from the coolant passages through to the fire ring. What colour is the coolant?

#8 Danny-T

Danny-T

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:21 PM

Well we've spent some of the weekend working on replacing the HG and anything else that looks worn. Although Saturday was spent just undoing the 3 bolts that attach the downpipe to the manifold (anyone know of an easier way to get at these? My arm wouldn't anyway near fit past the sump!).

Coolant was prety much orange/brown but has been drained now and will give it a good flushing. I'm pretty confident there'll be a gasket or something wrong as when the car first died several years ago was after a smoke-filled cabin experience.

To get it started in the first instance I emptied the fuel tank, redex'd the bores for a few days, changed the oil, filter, leads and removed the starter motor and scrubbed all the contacts. So, getting it started was the first big celebration.

Will report on how things look with the gasket when we get that far (was getting dark just as we'd disconnected everything so haven't yet removed the cylinder head.

Also just bought a MIG Welder (VAT Free day at Machine Mart today :wacko:) as there's a fair amount of rot set in, so will probably be back for some welding tips too!

Thanks for the help!

P.S taking it for a run isn't possible as the clutch is jammed (see my other post in the main technical help section)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users