#1 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Owners Club of WA

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:34 PM

hi all, so im at the stage in my rebuild of looking at the engine and clutch.first up, i want to replace the clutch as itll be easier now ive the engine outta the car. what should i upgrade to and where can i get it? im looking the whole kit, release bearings,plate etc. basically any moving parts to be replaced. i know ive a verto clutch,but im just not 100% as to what to buy.my dad is an engineer and he said he can lighten my flywheel,is this a good idea?

also, i want my gearbox looked at. anything here also i should replace? it was slightly crunching into 2nd,but just slightly,so i want to give it all a good goin over. any advice would be great on both areas. many thanx

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

I'm sure there'll be some threads worth searching for and info on Mini suppliers sites like Minispares.

I think the Verto is pretty much a heavyweight as standard most people would start with the earlier clutch which is a bit lighter to start with and had cornered the market for clutch modifying, not really giving the Verto a look in.

A light clutch will allow the engine to spin up faster but make the tick over lumpier. Don't go OTT if it's for the road.

Gearbox - renew the baulk rings and any remotely dubious bearings also think about the diff pin and possibly layshaft if you're fond of putting your foot down and slinging it through corners. Centre pick up pipe is also worthwhile.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:10 PM

The SPI/ MPi flywheel cannot be lightend by much as the crank sensor pick ups are built into it, Minispares do a light wheight steel flywheel, but you then need the turbo pressure plate for it to work. Id advise against lightening a cast flywheel unless you know exactly where to take the metal from and by how much, these things can explode at high rpm if done wrong, not doubting your dads abilities.

You can fit an ultralight pre verto flywheel and cluch set up, but you then ned to fit an aftermarket crankshaft position sensor an be able to set it up correctly.

As for replacing the clutch, make sure you get the correct MPi item. I would aslo be tempted to double check it is the correct one when intsalling it as follows - before removing the flywheel, position the engine at TDC on cylinder number 1 which has its inlet and exhaust valves closed. remove the crank sensor an mark the flywheel with pen through the hole. Leave the sensor out for now. remove the flywheel, replace the clutch, and test assemble the flywheel on the engine, again mark the flywheel as before, remove flywheel and check the marks are lined up or very close, any more than one or two teeth and its the wrong clutch!!

Alo, make sure you read my post at the very top of the technical section regarding the torque values. important!!!

#4 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

Also make sure your clutch arm is in good condition

#5 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

hey, thanx for the advice.as usual very helpful. im really just after making it last more than performance. realiability is key i guess,but all the above sound like what im after.

id hate to put it all back together and the gearbox start messing me around.

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:28 PM

Only real way to be sure about the box is strip it down and inspect the parts individualy. A new set of bearings and a competition diff pin fibre thrust washers and set clearancies properly minimum.

#7 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

yeah, ive been looking at diff's and upgrading mine.prob worth it. could anyone point me in the direction of the diff i should look out for? also maybe a clutch kit? minispares have oe for twin point at £190ish. is that about right?

Edited by tony kenobi, 22 October 2007 - 10:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users