#1 loll

loll

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for a full exhaust system for my 91 Mini Cooper (carb). At the moment the engine is standard but I am looking to put a stage one kit on. But buy the best bits that I want not just what comes in the kit. First thing is which exhaust to fit? I am thinking of an LCB manifold but there seems to be different types and the prices vary, so whats the difference between them all?

And then which Exhaust system? My boyfriend has always fitted Sportex Exhausts to his cars, (either full or just back box) as he liked the sound. I am not too concerned with the power increase, although some would be good. I just want it to make a nice noise without being too loud. I do use the mini on the odd motorway journey and don't want to end up with a headache.

Any advice would be good. thanks all.

LOLL.
:lol:

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:41 PM

Buy the kit from Minispares centre, it is already made of the best components. Minispares spent a lot of time and money developing their stage 1 kits on engine dynos and in the real world and tested them over a good range of examples of each engine type. Not all other companies spent this much time on the development of their kits, but this kit is good and comes with the RC40 exhaust which is recognised as the market leader for Mini tuning.

If you still want to go down the route of building your own kit, then the RC40 or Maniflow are both good exhausts. Bear in mind that Mini's have been tuned and raced for a lot longer than most of the modern tuning companies have existed so a long established Mini parts supplier will most likely provide better developed products than anyone who mainly produces parts for more modern metal.

If you are going to build your own stage 1 kit it is absolutely vital that you take the car to a very good Rolling Road tuner who understands A series engines and SU carbs very well indeed. The standard setup for the carb will not be able to provide enough fuel to a better breathing engine under all conditions and will most likely result in engine damage as a result.

Edited by Dan, 21 February 2005 - 10:43 PM.

#3 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:58 PM

Yep, RC40. Nuff said ! :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users