#1 tweety

tweety

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:14 PM

hey guys
rite my car is still over heating. i changed the radiator over today for a new metro one, as did all the pipes too, but yes u guessed it, it made no difference what so ever!
Its when the car is static for a period of time that this occurs e.g traffic jam (cut out in town the otherday twice cause it was soo hot)
So i was wondering if the waterpump could b nakkered?
Anyother ideas?
ive changed the thermostat but that made no difference, cud the head gasket be gone?
cheers

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:32 PM

to check to see if your headgasket has gone check for "mayo" under the filler cap, if u have changed everything else it would be a good idea to check the waterpump

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 06:19 PM

Also worth doing a compression test , I have known head gasgets to go and the presure in the cylinder finds its way into the water and blows the water out of the rad cap causeing overheating , but no oil getting into the water to cause the white gunge
Your mini has electric fan right ?
Have you checked the fan is switching on when she gets hot ?
On my metro , the fan switch in the rad malfunctioned so it didnt turn the fan on when it got hot , no problem when the car was moving (airflow) but if i stood at all it overheated , Fix , You find the fan switch , pull off the plug , it has two terminals (inside the plug on the end of the wire ) make a small bit of wire with a male spade on each end and push into the plug , Presto the fan will run the whole time the car is running , OR put a switch inside the min and two wires to the fan switch plug and you can switch the fan on at will , If you conect the wires into the wires just above the plug and then plug the fan switch back in , you can override the fan switch when you see the temp rise .

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 01 February 2004 - 03:03 PM

While doin a spot of decorating today, I had an idea!!

With the front mounted rads on the metros, they have longer large diameter water hoses going to and from the rad than the mini, meaning water speed through these hoses will be slower, and take longer to get to the rad and back round the engine. To get around this problem they used a smaller pully on the water pump, which speedy the water up a little. Check and see which pully you've got on yours.

Also maybe try a high capacity water pump.

And finally, how is your rad plumbed in? The hose coming off the water pump should go to the bottom of the rad and the hose comming off the thermastat housing should go to the top of the rad. I have read this is to do with water being forced up the rad causing better cooling than if it was to fall in from the top.

#5 tweety

tweety

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:33 PM

woody thats exactly what its doin, the rad isnt even warm and there is no gunk at all!
ive got a new set of gaskets today for the car and im fitting them tomorrow
ill tell you how i get on
cheers

#6 tweety

tweety

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 07:28 PM

hey guys
little update!!!!
Rite changed the head gasket, rocker gasket an exhaust gasket today as that was the next thing on the list to change, only problem was tryin to get the head off!!!
The middle bold was bent and was holdin the head on, so we were rockin and rockin the engine to get it to budge, after an hour and a half it came off but in the process we hit the fuel pump which then decide to spit fuel everywhere whn i had put it all back together so ill have to change that tomorrow
But ill post on here how it goes on as im sure most of u want to no lol
cheers

#7 tweety

tweety

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:12 PM

hey guys
rite ive also fixed the fuel pump (very very fidly job!) and had the oppertunity to have a run in the car its its running much better!
me and alex1340 rigged the fans up to come on with the flick of the switch and that too has made a big difference as the fans werent kicking in!!!
Im now going to fit a much better fan for the rad and that shud do it!
Looks like its sorted!
jus need to adjust the tappets now :S
cheers guys

#8 bumblebee

bumblebee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:08 PM

all this talk of head gaskets must have made my mini jealous! she's joined in the game and spat hers out too!

some baboon, neandathol type assmonkey forgot to put antifreeze in his rad, car froze at the 40th anniversary monte carlo party at plant oxford, leaked water, leak fixed with radweld, leak reappeared, leak cured with another bottle of radweld, thermostat housing blocked! boiled engine,oil and water everywhere.....new lump on its way....

Ah well.

Rich

#9 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 07:59 AM

Richy mate , Ive still got the flame red 1000cc engine ! call me .

#10 Alex1340

Alex1340

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:05 PM

YES tweety remmber ANIFREAZZE!!!!

#11 tweety

tweety

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:52 AM

rite then its not overheatin its doin summit else.
Rite started the other day when a fuse blew causin the electric fans to stop workin, i didnt know this and in traffic it overheated. I left the car to cool and filled it bk with antifreeze. Same day i was on my way bk home and i lost all power (put my foot down bogged down and stalled)
went for a look under the bonnet and the water was fine however the engine was RED hot, burnt my self touchin it in the process. Left it again to cool down and took it home.
Come to this mornin and its done it again, i checked the top hose and there wasnt any water in there but the header tank was full!
So i did what i thought was right and tried to bleed the system to remove air. I did this and all seemed fine, i left it and had summit to eat. Just bin bk to it, it sounds like a bag of nails, the header tank is pi**ing out all the water i put in to blead the system and everytime i rev the engine the water rises and bubbles out the top. I have also noticed that exhaust fumes are in the water indicating the headgasket has gone (there is also no water in the top hose again and the engine is gettin very very warm) So i think the head is warped as i have used the car with no water (had no choice was stuck in the middle of no where)
If it is warped will a simple skim do it or will i have to replace the head????
please help me guys im only 17 and to be completly honest i havnt a clue what to do and i cant afford to keep replacing parts every 5 minutes :)
Cheers guys

#12 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 06:00 PM

Sounds like you need a second hand head , take this to an engineering works and get them to check it, it may need skimming also , best to get checked before fitting , If you do it this way you can take one head off and fitt the other straight on .

#13 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 09 February 2004 - 08:33 PM

I'm your man.... :)

The top hose only fills with water when the thermastat opens. Sounds like you either have a dodgey therm or a blockage in the head, causing a hot spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users