#1 jam2005

jam2005

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:24 PM

I'm wanting to fit ultralites to my '87 Mayfair. I'm going to cut the arches and fit adjusta-rides, new rubber cones and GAZ shocks at the same time. Do I need the standard or lowered shocks though? I'm wanting the mini to be lowered so I was thinking lowered shocks. However i'm fitting 13" wheels (see pikky) so should I go for the standard GAZ shocks, but will these be low enough :lol: . Please help asap as i'm wanting to get the suspension ordered in a day or so.

Also I was wondering on the black or grey wheels for my black mini. Don't want there to be too much black but I want the grey to match something :nugget: . Decisions, decisions :angry: lol. Anyone got any pikkys of these wheels fitted?

Cheers,
Jam2005 :grin:

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:49 PM

Depends on which brand of dampers you fit. Some of them have enough range of movement to cope with slightly lowered cars and some don't. Generally if you are going to wind down the suspension more than about 1" to 1 1/2" then you need lowered dampers. How big the wheels are makes no difference to the available length of the suspension travel.
I would say that you should wait to order the dampers until the rest is built. Build the suspension and set a ride height you are comfortable with, fit the standard dampers and take it for a short drive. If the car is thumping into the end of travel on the dampers a lot then you need to fit lowered type dampers, if not order standard ones. If it is hitting then wind it back up until the new dampers arrive as it will cause damage.
You won't be able to lower it very far with 13" wheels on I shouldn't think as it will need a lot of arch material chopped out, and you will start to need modifications to the rear arches as well which is lots more expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users