4 replies to this topic

#1 psycho mini driver

psycho mini driver

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:18 PM

i fancy building myself an engine, one that runs nice and is a bit quicker perhaps. but i want to keep it spi so it is a straight swap when im done. would i be able to use a metro engine for example as the baisis of the build, as spi engines are hard to come buy. also, if i got it bored out a little, would it need a new ecu? or would it all run ok still? i was thinking build the main part of the engine up, paint it all nice etc, with a recon box, then rebuild my existing head (or depending on funds, a modified one) then swap the engines over. is it possible to use a non injection engine to build an injection one up is really what i want to know.

Thanks in advance.

#2 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:39 PM

did metro's have ecu'S?

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:16 PM

Nope you can't use a metro engine to rebuild an injection lump...

If I were you I'd simply rebuild your current engine (despite the SPI being notorious for being unreliable, if it's been working for you there's no reason why it should change).

Strip the block, have it overbored +20 to 1293, install some new pistons with new rings, regrind the crankshaft, change crank, bigend and cam bearings, install a Sw5i camshaft with duplex kit, change all gaskets, drop the whole thing on a rebuilt gearbox, and install a new cluch kit.
Then you can simply stick on a stage 3 injection head and connect up all your injection goodies, and you'll have a lovely engine.

And in case it ever plays up, you could always convert it to MPI or even go back to carbs. It's much easier to go from injection to carbs than the other way around.

Hope that helps

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:17 PM

It's quite an investment though, and if you're unsure of your abilities it might be best to commission someone like Simon from Morspeed to simply build you a new lump altogether, then just drop it in!

#5 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:03 AM

injection heads are different to metro 12g940s, something to do with the oil or water galleries i think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users