289 replies to this topic

#286 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

Interesting, I'm looking at my British Leyland handbook and it states a few things different to what you're suggesting:

Firstly the weight figures you give are different,... In my handbook the weight of a manual saloon is 640kg, and theTowing weight limit is quoted as 406.5kg

Rover not Leyland :ermm: later cars like the one here are heavier however the important tow weights are nearly the same, dont forget these are max figures for braked trailers, the leyland book and the rover book tow figures are only 0.5% off each other so all years pretty much have the same capacity.

What does the leyland book say for nose weight?

This is about the only caravan type trailer thats light enough to tow with a mini thats available to buy:
http://www.littleguy...Model_cargo.htm
still not braked so not sure if thats legal.

At the end of the day you dont want the tail wagging the dog so to speak

Edited by wolfie, 27 July 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#287 dekz2uk

dekz2uk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred & Exhausted mini club

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi, just a quick note. Last year went on BH2N retro run and had car + trailer fully laden on German autobahns @ 85mph (Stig can confirm this). No problems, very stable indeed.:genius:

Don't forget wheels on this "trailer" are set well back from centre of gravity unlike normal trailers - so in effect your towing another car but a h*ll of a lot lighter.

If you check your weights on mini parts, you'll find by removing doors, engine, subframes etc. (check my build diary) that you end up with a lightweight and very manageable shell.

I've been on many runs now (last one Crich Tramway) with no problems at all and will be at many more.

Hope to see you all there - come up and chat. :errr:

#288 chunkytfg

chunkytfg

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:20 AM

Hi, just a quick note. Last year went on BH2N retro run and had car + trailer fully laden on German autobahns @ 85mph (Stig can confirm this). No problems, very stable indeed.:D

Don't forget wheels on this "trailer" are set well back from centre of gravity unlike normal trailers - so in effect your towing another car but a h*ll of a lot lighter.

If you check your weights on mini parts, you'll find by removing doors, engine, subframes etc. (check my build diary) that you end up with a lightweight and very manageable shell.

I've been on many runs now (last one Crich Tramway) with no problems at all and will be at many more.

Hope to see you all there - come up and chat. :dontgetit:

say what you want about it being stable etc etc but it still remains that i very very much doubt you will get the nose weight down to a reasonable level. And saying that it is very light when you take doors subframes etc out is great apart from you also saying it was 'fully laden' which just blows that threoy out the water

#289 DaveJH

DaveJH

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

Just read through your thread. Your nuts! But its an impressive result, well done :)

#290 hksubaru

hksubaru

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:16 AM

wow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users