5 replies to this topic

#1 stealth05

stealth05

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

sorry if this has been asked before but i have a single point sprite and a single point cooper , the cooper feels a lot more nippy than the sprite , both same age and both 1275 the sprite is running 10" wheels(on standard diff which in theory should give it better acceleration) and has a cat bypass and k&n , the cooper is standard ,is this down to the ecu or is there more to the cooper engine :dontgetit:

#2 Major Burkenshaw

Major Burkenshaw

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton mini club

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:01 PM

I think the cooper ecu is rated at 63bhp and the non-cooper at 53bhp.

#3 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:03 PM

Ditto - the ECUs the key with that...I don't think the gearboxes were different (only changed when it came to the mpi).

I'm sure I've seen Sprocket mention the SPi units differed somehow..but whether that was model to model or year to year I can't remember.

Edited by nev_payne, 29 October 2007 - 09:04 PM.

#4 stealth05

stealth05

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

Ditto - the ECUs the key with that...I don't think the gearboxes were different (only changed when it came to the mpi).

I'm sure I've seen Sprocket mention the SPi units differed somehow..but whether that was model to model or year to year I can't remember.

sorry didn't mean the gearbox was different , just putting 10" wheels on the diff designed to run 12" wheels would be better on acceleration

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

The sprite is the base line engine. The cooper has a sportier cam, higher compression ratio, and the ECU gives a little more fuel at full throttle as well as the ignition being optimised for the higher compression ratio. The final drive is 3.2:1 compared to the non cooper at 3.1:1.

Thats the difference.

By the way, im liking the Powell Peralta rip off

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

sorry didn't mean the gearbox was different , just putting 10" wheels on the diff designed to run 12" wheels would be better on acceleration

Not by much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users