The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

Weeeell, where I work now has loads of perks (internet usage being one of them) and it's also something different.

BUT, I've got me a job interview at another place next Friday and I'm already having second thoughts about it! ;D

Basically, I'm a design engineer. Currently, I design inflatable buildings and also things like airships (blimps) etc. The job pays OK for the area, it's only 12 miles from home and it's, well, easy. Problem is that it's, hmm, kinda unprofessional here, it's so slack it's unreal sometimes! Perhaps it's more because I'm wound up with the place and notice it more though. :-

The other job is a mile away from home, same title 'Design Engineer' but more focused around one product range, rather than a nice variety of products (diversify or die and all that). So, if you had to make the choice between the two jobs, which would you go for?
  • Professional company that's potentially a tad boring, doing the same old thing day in, day out, but has annual payrises, 4 days per year more holiday and is 1 mile from home.
  • Non-professional company that's an infuriating place to work, the MD spits out bad (often racist) jokes all day. Payrises are few and far between, but because of that they're usually BIG ones. 12 miles from home on nice easy A and B roads.
That's assuming they like me in the interview and I actually have to make a choice! :teehee: :)

#2 mattyoung69

mattyoung69

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:46 PM

I would say it depends on working conditions at the new place - its all well and good for the move nearer to home and more payrises.

On the other hand, if the new place is boring/same thing all the time, could you stomach it?

If its closer, can you justify the expense of driving to work - if not, your losing money on the car/mot/tax etc by not using it...

I think i'd stay where I was, as you say if they only do one thing, how long will the demand last before another company does the same thing as a broader range? Could find yourself out of a job...

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:40 PM

Do you know for sure there will be annual pay rises? Don't make the mistake of assuming just because they are a big professional company that you'll get an annual pay rise!

I work for a global corp. and we get 'cost of living' rises based on our performance (typically about 3%), I'm lucky in that I've had a lot more than that because I have my fingers in several pies. My manager is also a touch hard to get on with at times, sometimes blurting out pretty rubbish jokes. I've learnt I don't have to laught thought if I don't find it funny, which is nearly always.

Guess what I'm trying to get at is don't assume anything about the other company just because its more prestigous, bigger, well known, etc.

#4 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:41 PM

I would say it depends on working conditions at the new place - its all well and good for the move nearer to home and more payrises.

Working conditions is an interesting one. I've got a mate who used to work in the same place and I'm gonna go talk to him tonight.

On the other hand, if the new place is boring/same thing all the time, could you stomach it?

Well, I do tend to get bored, but that's through a lack of actual work here to be honest.

If its closer, can you justify the expense of driving to work - if not, your losing money on the car/mot/tax etc by not using it...

Of course I can justify driving me car/cars. I'm well lazy! :shifty:

I think i'd stay where I was, as you say if they only do one thing, how long will the demand last before another company does the same thing as a broader range? Could find yourself out of a job...

I dunno about the product range thing to be honest. It feels kinda like we've diversified too much here and are losing focus. We have no 'core' products and the MD won't listen when we ask for the company to focus on one thing (unless that one thing's a bottle of gin) :teehee:

What you've said is good food for thought though Matt :D :thumbsup:

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

Non-professional company :shifty:

#6 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

Well you know what i think already.... :teehee:

I've been telling you for ages to go for some interviews and see what else is out there!

There's no harm going for the interview, they might love you, but if you think the place stinks then you don't have to take the job... However, if you think it's going well while you're there, ask to have a look around the place where you might be working and chat to some of the staff (if they don't mind), it might even score you some brownie points.

At the end of the day, you're no longer happy where you are now. If it's just as bad at the new job, then stick it out for a while and before you try elsewhere again. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

If it's only a mile from work you could get a bicycle and be there in five minutes! :shifty:

Let us know how you feel about the new place after the interview, then we can help you to decide about the whole package....

#7 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

I'm lucky in that I've had a lot more than that because I have my fingers in several pies.

I wondered what that was! :shifty:

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:09 PM

i wondered why pie was walking funny

#9 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:28 AM

Well you know what i think already.... :)

Yep :dontgetit:

I've been telling you for ages to go for some interviews and see what else is out there!

There's no harm going for the interview, they might love you, but if you think the place stinks then you don't have to take the job... However, if you think it's going well while you're there, ask to have a look around the place where you might be working and chat to some of the staff (if they don't mind), it might even score you some brownie points.

Well, to be honest I'm thinking it's going to be a useful experience anyway, whether I like it, or if they like me or not..... It's all good fun!

At the end of the day, you're no longer happy where you are now. If it's just as bad at the new job, then stick it out for a while and before you try elsewhere again. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Yeah, true Amy. It's probably worth a go. I am utterly fed up with where I am now, so it's definitely time for a change. I just don't want to throw away my experience/position here if it means that I have to start lower down the ladder again. :ermm:

If it's only a mile from work you could get a bicycle and be there in five minutes! :lol:

Got one or two, just need to get used to riding them again. But yeah, that's one of the major benefits to be honest. :)

Let us know how you feel about the new place after the interview, then we can help you to decide about the whole package....

Will do boss! :angel:

#10 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:01 AM

Just a thought, if this new company only focuses on one product is the demand for that product in the future likely to continue?

You dont want to work for a company making CRT TVs if you get me.

I really enjoyed my time working with you but pay and career prospects meant I went elsewhere but as ive said before I sometimes wonder what I could have made of myself there (after some hard graft). But I can imagine how you fine their unusual methods frustrating.

As said already use the interview as much for them as for you and find out as much as you can about the place.

#11 william

william

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

Hi MMM,

One can gather if the new company is doing well by asking around about their market share...if possible and seeing if their office surroundings...e.g. good expensdive office furnitures, phone systems, magazines at the reception and even the carpet...as in if they are clean. This will allow an window opening of this outfir if they are serious on their brand/image :)

Either then the above, to be honest...I would also look into my personal side like
- as the new place flexible enough in terms of working hours
- am I near to my family home, school...just incase...wifey and anybody else at home that's needs one to be around or even to fetch them to somewhere important
- accessibilty to places of convenience where one goes often...to run chores
- am I still competitive enough to learn new stuffs and work up the corporate ladder

All in all, one needs to look at the whole 'package' and then decide whats good.

My 2 p
:lol:

#12 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:05 AM

Ohh everyone it seems are looking to change their career lately!!

I think just see how it goes at the interview. The second place might not be all its cracked up to be. Ive gone for a couple of jobs thinking that they will be just what I want but then when I start them I realise Im not enjoying it as much as I thought I would!

Raz xXx

#13 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:14 AM

Hi MMM,

One can gather if the new company is doing well by asking around about their market share...if possible and seeing if their office surroundings...e.g. good expensdive office furnitures, phone systems, magazines at the reception and even the carpet...as in if they are clean. This will allow an window opening of this outfir if they are serious on their brand/image :dontgetit:

Either then the above, to be honest...I would also look into my personal side like
- as the new place flexible enough in terms of working hours
- am I near to my family home, school...just incase...wifey and anybody else at home that's needs one to be around or even to fetch them to somewhere important
- accessibilty to places of convenience where one goes often...to run chores
- am I still competitive enough to learn new stuffs and work up the corporate ladder

All in all, one needs to look at the whole 'package' and then decide whats good.

Thanks for all that, :)

As a whole, the potential new place would seem to offer a better 'package' than the old one. I'm definitely going to treat is as an exercise of just 'finding out' what things are like. They may not offer me the job, they may offer it to me on the spot. I'll make the decision when I have to I guess, that's the time that I'll know what feels right. :)

Anyway, only a week to go, better get me interview techniqe sorted. I've only ever had two before, one for this job and one for my last job! :angel: dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing! :lol:

#14 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

Go and see what else is on offer, just try not to burn your bridges with the company your with now, so you can go back if you need too?

Not as if your current work place needs to know your going for interviews elsewhere is it? Just take a few days off sick etc :gimme:

#15 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:11 PM

Oooh ooh, the interview's at 2:30 today! :lol:

Aaaand, I've got two more lined up (waiting to hear off another agency too) :shifty: >_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users