27 replies to this topic

#1 konrad565

konrad565

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

Too skint to go to France or anywhere else at the moment... but If any Ski/snowboard bums out there have heard any snow predictions for the Scottish Mountains I would love to know.

And it would be nice to get to know some of you fellow snow lovers...

#2 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

I dont know :- sorry, but Ive been skiing loads, I love it!!

Going again next year in Feb to Austria :lol:

#3 Se7enS1ns

Se7enS1ns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

Its way too early for any ride-able snow in the highlands, best time of year is March from what ive seen over the years.
Worth keeping an eye on this - Clicky - its a webcam page for CairnGorm.

#4 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

Best place to go is Banf. Mainly because its canada, and your garenteed decent snow.

That or whistler, get saving

#5 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:23 PM

nah, i like austria :lol:

but hes tryin to do it cheap. So canada aint gonna happen! lol

#6 konrad565

konrad565

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

nah, i like austria :lol:

When it comes down to it Skiing is in my blood so if I need to spend some major dollar to get some guarenteed snow then so be it! (I haven't been in ages and its really starting to pee me off!)

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:34 PM

I'm no skier, well not that downhill nonsense, but I do like the white stuff. Scotland really is totally unreliable for snow now you have to be prepared to drop all and head north at short notice - I wouldn't book anywhere unless you're into mountain biking or visiting distilleries as much as skiing.

I have mates who head for eastern Europe to ski now - cheaper and more reliable than the Alps 'n Pyrenees.

#8 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

nah, i like austria :wub:

When it comes down to it Skiing is in my blood so if I need to spend some major dollar to get some guarenteed snow then so be it! (I haven't been in ages and its really starting to pee me off!)

Canada being canda you are GARENTEED snow, and not just cr@p snow, its decent quality snow. Banf is just amazing, as its got such a vast range of slopes.

or try www.skiingonashoestring.co.uk :lol:

#9 konrad565

konrad565

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

I'm no skier, well not that downhill nonsense, but I do like the white stuff. Scotland really is totally unreliable for snow now you have to be prepared to drop all and head north at short notice - I wouldn't book anywhere unless you're into mountain biking or visiting distilleries as much as skiing.

I have mates who head for eastern Europe to ski now - cheaper and more reliable than the Alps 'n Pyrenees.

I'm self employed so I intend to drop everything and cross the border into bonnie Scotland! But am just looking for a 2 weeker with guaranteed snow. The eastern block is always an option but a friend of mine went Feb time this year and there was no snow at one resort but there was at another so I will look into it thanks.

#10 konrad565

konrad565

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

nah, i like austria :wub:

Canada being canda you are GARENTEED snow, and not just cr@p snow, its decent quality snow. Banf is just amazing, as its got such a vast range of slopes.

or try www.skiingonashoestring.co.uk :lol:

You really are tempting me I'll look into it. I'm still young so I can waste some dosh!

#11 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

exactly,. do it while you dont have a house to pay for, or a wedding to pay for, or kids.

im 21 and have NONE of the above lol Life is great lol

#12 pogie

pogie

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Local Club: Essex MC

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

The way I used to guarantee good snow was to watch the Ski Club of Great Britain weather forecast and book at the very last minute. Be careful of Scotland as once you add the price of petrol to get there and the relevantly expensive accommodation it's not that cheap. I once priced up a holiday to Avimore and it turned out to be cheaper to get a last minute to France. We lucked out as well because we were allocated accommodation on arrival and ended up having the last room in a luxury chalet in Meribel Village. Before the internet became really popular, it used to be quite easy to get a good deal off tele-text but now it seems like people are sitting at their screens waiting for the prices to fall so the holiday companies seem to hold out for a better price.

The best snow conditions I ever had was in the La Plagne when in 24 hours it dropped 60cms at the bottom and 1.2 meters at the top, unfortunately it was before I took up riding and I had a hell of a time getting the turns in on my old 201 Rossignol slalom skis as the snow on the pistes was up to my knees. People often say North America means snow is guaranteed, but that year a friend was doing a season in Whistler and they had one of their worst years on record and he spent most of the season riding on hard packed icy pistes.

My best advice for a cheap ski holiday would be to book late and independently, get a self catering apartment on line, then book a cheap Ryan/Sleazy Jet flight to Geneva and then get a coach to resort.

Due to a motorbike accident last year it looks like my winter holidays have come to an end, so I'll be thinking of all you lucky gits on the slopes come January.

Edited by pogie, 07 November 2007 - 04:31 PM.

#13 konrad565

konrad565

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

The way I used to guarantee good snow was to watch the Ski Club of Great Britain weather forecast and book at the very last minute. Be careful of Scotland as once you add the price of petrol to get there and the relevantly expensive accommodation it's not that cheap. I once priced up a holiday to Avimore and it turned out to be cheaper to get a last minute to France. We lucked out as well because we were allocated accommodation on arrival and ended up having the last room in a luxury chalet in Meribel Village. Before the internet became really popular, it used to be quite easy to get a good deal off tele-text but now it seems like people are sitting at their screens waiting for the prices to fall so the holiday companies seem to hold out for a better price.

The best snow conditions I ever had was in the La Plagne when in 24 hours it dropped 60cms at the bottom and 1.2 meters at the top, unfortunately it was before I took up riding and I had a hell of a time getting the turns in on my old 201 Rossignol slalom skis as the snow on the pistes was up to my knees. People often say North America means snow is guaranteed, but that year a friend was doing a season in Whistler and they had one of their worst years on record and he spent most of the season riding on hard packed icy pistes.

My best advice for a cheap ski holiday would be to book late and independently, get a self catering apartment on line, then book a cheap Ryan/Sleazy Jet flight to Geneva and then get a coach to resort.

Due to a motorbike accident last year it looks like my winter holidays have come to an end, so I'll be thinking of all you lucky gits on the slopes come January.

La Plagne is a great place to ski but if you're a horrible binge drinking youth such as myself then the night is.... well, non-existant. It looks like I will have to end up paying a bit more but, oh well life will go on!

#14 Se7enS1ns

Se7enS1ns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:17 PM

Hey Konrad, replied to the PM.
If you can rumble up the readies your more than welcome to join us in Jasper, Canada from Jan 5th. I booked the last two seats on the plane from Mancs though, but you might be able to get a cancelation.

#15 pogie

pogie

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Local Club: Essex MC

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

My week with this company, http://www.cheapwintersports.com/ in 2002 was the cheapest to the Alps that I ever had. Travel was by couch leaving the UK on Friday afternoon and coming home Saturday evening, so we got two extra days on the slopes. The accommodation was very cheap and cheerful but the Lodge in Piesey-Vallandry (Les Arcs) is right next to a piste and 100 meters up from a high speed chair and it’s also not too far from the new cable car link to La Plagne.

If you can handle over night on a coach you will be OK, but as a 6 foot lard arse I usually hate couches but we paid a supplement for places on a coach that had seats that converted into bunks, so I actually managed to get some sleep on the way down.

HTH

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users