27 replies to this topic

#16 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

Trying to convince other half / mate to book something at the minute but its not going well! She wants sun and mate is skint

So bought myself some new Snowboard boots on Monday to make up for it!

TMF winter hol anybody?

#17 konrad565

konrad565

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:20 PM

Hey Konrad, replied to the PM.
If you can rumble up the readies your more than welcome to join us in Jasper, Canada from Jan 5th. I booked the last two seats on the plane from Mancs though, but you might be able to get a cancelation.

Would actually be cool but I'm back to work on the 6th taking the 22nd dec to the 6th jan and thats expensive enough (self employed so dont work... dont get paid!)

Can I just say something whats with all the Gays on trays! (only joking, Its just cause I'm in the pr**ks on sticks camp!)

#18 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:14 PM

Trying to convince other half / mate to book something at the minute but its not going well! She wants sun and mate is skint

With the funds from selling your old ones to some unexpecting fool i bet :w00t:

#19 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

Best place to go is Banf. Mainly because its canada, and your garenteed decent snow.

That or whistler, get saving

I went to Banff in August :w00t:

#20 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:33 PM

With the funds from selling your old ones to some unexpecting fool i bet >_<

Partly Pie, funds from selling old boots wont even go a quarter of the way to the cost of new ones, just don't tell the other half!

#21 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:41 PM

TMF winter hol anybody?

HELL YEA!! >_<

Ive been to Vermont, Andorra several times and Im going to Austria next year for the first time!! SO excited!!

My work mate is going out to Canada soon to live and teach people how to snowboard. Ive done snow boarding too, think I might stick at what Im good at- Skiing, spent most my time on my bum when I was boarding!!

Raz xXx

Edited by *Raz*, 08 November 2007 - 12:42 PM.

#22 haz

haz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

TMF winter hol anybody?

HELL YEA!! >_<

Ive been to Vermont, Andorra several times and Im going to Austria next year for the first time!! SO excited!!

My work mate is going out to Canada soon to live and teach people how to snowboard. Ive done snow boarding too, think I might stick at what Im good at- Skiing, spent most my time on my bum when I was boarding!!

Raz xXx

tis wierd because i found snowboarding really easy to get to grips with as a beginner but really hard to get good at, wasnt doing anything harder than a blue slope but skiing is the opposite, its rock hard as a beginner but really quite easy to master once you've got the basics pinned down imo

as for a tmf holiday, dam right... do skiis fit in a mini?? lol

oh and french alps has been the best snow when iv been, gone to austria twice and france twice and les arcs near mount blanc was amazing, lots of great off piste (sp?!) and loadsa challenging black runs :dontgetit:

#23 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

TMF winter hol anybody?

HELL YEA!! :o

Raz xXx

tis wierd because i found snowboarding really easy to get to grips with as a beginner but really hard to get good at, wasnt doing anything harder than a blue slope but skiing is the opposite, its rock hard as a beginner but really quite easy to master once you've got the basics pinned down imo

as for a tmf holiday, dam right... do skiis fit in a mini?? lol

oh and french alps has been the best snow when iv been, gone to austria twice and france twice and les arcs near mount blanc was amazing, lots of great off piste (sp?!) and loadsa challenging black runs :w00t:

I think because I could ski well that when I tried boarding it was just a completely different technique etc!! Ill stick to skiing though!! I would try boarding again if the opportunity comes up though, was good!!

Haha Ive never thought about if skis fit in a mini!! :thumbsup: got to try that!! >_< Blatantly do a TMF winter holiday!! Ill DEFINATELY go!! :dontgetit:

#24 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

Yes skis fit in a Mini, but if you haven't got a reclining passenger seat they may stick out the window a lil bit :dontgetit:.

If there are two of you, you'd have to sit in opposite corners of the car.

Mini's love playing in the snow but none of mine ever really mastered parallel turns >_<

#25 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:09 PM

Mini's love playing in the snow but none of mine ever really mastered parallel turns >_<

Ill teach the mini :o I can do it :dontgetit: haha!!

I got stuck on the beach when I took Monty on the sand in Newquay for Riv Run!! haha!!

#26 Mini25racer

Mini25racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Local Club: .....

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:15 PM

try goin to russia mate its cheap cheap cheap and its a big country there bound to be loads an loads of mountains with snow on for you .that where i plan to go next year ..

#27 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:44 PM

nah, i like austria :dontgetit:

but hes tryin to do it cheap. So canada aint gonna happen! lol

When it comes down to it Skiing is in my blood so if I need to spend some major dollar to get some guarenteed snow then so be it! (I haven't been in ages and its really starting to pee me off!)

Canada being canda you are GARENTEED snow, and not just cr@p snow, its decent quality snow. Banf is just amazing, as its got such a vast range of slopes.

or try www.skiingonashoestring.co.uk >_<

You would think so wouldn't you?!

My sister and her partner have just got home after spending 6 months running a chalet in Whistler (never do it, it's slave labour)....

The season was one of the worst in history with hardly any snowfall in the first three months they were there, in fact they started doing mountain bike treks rather than using the chalet for skiers and board'ers!!!

Their advice is to check the weather forecasts right up until the day before your flight leaves... you may get out there (where ever you go) and find there's no snow to be found!

Edited by Amy, 08 November 2007 - 03:45 PM.

#28 pogie

pogie

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Local Club: Essex MC

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:53 PM

You would think so wouldn't you?!

My sister and her partner have just got home after spending 6 months running a chalet in Whistler (never do it, it's slave labour)....

The season was one of the worst in history with hardly any snowfall in the first three months they were there, in fact they started doing mountain bike treks rather than using the chalet for skiers and board'ers!!!

Their advice is to check the weather forecasts right up until the day before your flight leaves... you may get out there (where ever you go) and find there's no snow to be found!

That's exactly what happened when my friend spent a season in Whistler. The snow was terrible and if he hadn't been working in a Christian retreat teaching kids to snowboard he would have come home. You can have poor conditions anywhere so I would be cautious buying into the “come to Canada for guaranteed snow” message.

I've actually spoken to quite a few Yanks and Canucks who say the best riding they have ever done is in the Alps. Mind you they aren't so enthusiastic about the quewes or drag lifts.

My best days riding was in Livigno, which is not normally rated for having the best slopes or snow. But on this particular day it dumped and dumped, all the skiers went in and myself and another two dozen snowboards had the lower slopes all to ourselves. At one point I fell over and couldn't get up in the deep snow so I decided to walk to some trees where I could see it wasn't so deep. After three steps I was up to my neck in powder but luckily my next step had me on the firm base. It took me 40 minutes to walk 50 meters while my friends wizzed past me cutting fresh tracks and taking the pee. Happy days!!!

As you say, keeping an eye on the forecasts and booking last minute is the best way of finding good snow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users