17 replies to this topic

#1 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

ive had my mpi off the road for a few months to fix some engine problembs and move the ecu to under the dash when i powered it on to check the electrics were ok the fuel pump didnt prime and when u turn the key to start nothing happens. could this be the keyfob box stopping me turning the car over and the fuel pump priming? is there something i can do to reset the codes? my initial thought was an earthing problem but i dont think its that. could i have fried the ecu with poor earthing? whats the best way to check to see if its working? any help and sugestions would be greatly apriciated.

chris

#2 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

it could be the alarm ecu and key fob aren't syncronised. what you have to do is press the lock button 4 times, the indicators should flash 3 times. press the unlock button they should flash once, which means the alarm is disabled and you can start the car.

#3 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

it could be the alarm ecu and key fob aren't syncronised. what you have to do is press the lock button 4 times, the indicators should flash 3 times. press the unlock button they should flash once, which means the alarm is disabled and you can start the car.

just tried it but it didnt work the same thing happens when u turn the key nothing! im in great distress please help!

#4 SexyMinx

SexyMinx

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

Had same problem with my MPI - after many hours at local garage turned out it was a relay in the ECU that had gone cost about £5.

Alternatively, have you tried the fuel cut-off switch under the bonnet?

#5 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

Hi

Had some grief with my MPi a few weeks ago after doing a load of engine work, and it refusing to start afterwards. Completely dead! Turns out I was being a total prat and trying to de-immobilse / alarm it with the bonnet off, so the bonnet switch was open. In my defence it had been a very long day and haven't owned and alarmed Mini for 8 years!

Interestingly enough, by trying all sorts of keyfob pressing combinations and much cursing and head banging it did eventually de-immobilise. But the whole auto-reseting and acrivating sequences went completely mental.

So it may be worth checking that all the door / bonnet / boot switches are working properly and, in paticular, that the plate on the bonnet that opens the bonnet switch when closed, is not rusted into non-existance, as mine is.

Good luck!

#6 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

Hi

Had some grief with my MPi a few weeks ago after doing a load of engine work, and it refusing to start afterwards. Completely dead! Turns out I was being a total prat and trying to de-immobilse / alarm it with the bonnet off, so the bonnet switch was open. In my defence it had been a very long day and haven't owned and alarmed Mini for 8 years!

Interestingly enough, by trying all sorts of keyfob pressing combinations and much cursing and head banging it did eventually de-immobilise. But the whole auto-reseting and acrivating sequences went completely mental.

So it may be worth checking that all the door / bonnet / boot switches are working properly and, in paticular, that the plate on the bonnet that opens the bonnet switch when closed, is not rusted into non-existance, as mine is.

Good luck!

hi thanks for the reply to everyone

can i ask when it was completely dead did the fuel pump prime when u turned the ignition on?

#7 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:05 PM

have you pressed the inertia switch, its a black rubber button located near the wiper motor. its supposed to cut out if the car gets shunted heavily, although sometimes they can be faulty. press it and see.

#8 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

ive manualy checked all the relay switches for the fuel pump for everything and they all come on ok the car turns over and the fuel pump comes on so i know is good. its just not being turned on by the ecu for whatever reason as far as i can see.

#9 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

So is the engine not tuning over at all?

#10 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

nope no turn over and no fuel pump prime not without intervetion of live wires to the relay module, dead as dodo, i was thinking of paying to have it hooked up to a fault code reader, but it tends to get expensive when they have to come to your house. anyone got a spare ecu and alarm box that i can borrow?! or possibly buy? or anyone own a fault code reader near cambridge that would be fantastic

#11 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

i just realised simon i think u sold me my strait cut box, do you work at minispares?

#12 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

Yup, certainly do. So what does work on the electrics side? what is getting power? Sounds like the immobiliser might not be cutting out if everything is dead.

#13 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

everything works lights horn wiper ect, just no fuel pump prime or lamda or any other engine systems come online and it wont turn over.

#14 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:31 AM

Definately sounds like ECU/Immoboliser, a diagnostics test is probably going to be the only way of solving it

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

Sprocket will provide you with loads of things to try here, send him a PM as he maybe hasn't seen this thread yet.

I thought the ECU controlled the relays by grounding them rather than supplying power so if you are getting things to work by adding 12V then maybe its not an ECU fault. Are the main engine fuses OK?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users