9 replies to this topic

#1 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

does anyone know if there is a code reader that plugs into the diagnostics port and then to a pc that works with the mpi ecu? ive seen them on ebay but im not confident that i will get the right one. as im not sure its obd or whatever its called. as i have a problem with my mpi being dead, but thats in another post.
cheers guys

#2 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

nope.. the mini ecu is not odb complient...

#3 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:29 PM

personally i would get a mechanic to look at it. the diagnostic will tell you what the problem/s are, but wont tell you where they are. a proper diagnostic technician will be able to pinpoint what you need to do. Have a look in the yeelow pages, theres normally a mobile mechanic who has diagnostic stuff - the one i use, know and trust implicitly goes under the name of Tune Up.

#4 SexyMinx

SexyMinx

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:24 AM

Take care though - there are some people who have all the gear but no idea.

Have you tried a new relay (cost about £5) in the ECU - I know mine didn't show as a fault and the engine wouldn't turn nothing. We tried everything before that cut off switch, new fuel pump and even contemplated getting a new ECU !!

#5 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:03 PM

there are no relays "in" the ecu but i have checked all the relays to everything in the bay. they all work fine. still puzzled

#6 SexyMinx

SexyMinx

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

The bit I am talking about was seperate from the ECU, its a black plastic box which whne you lift the cover off it has 4 bobbin like things in it - it was one of these that was faulty that caused al my problems - new one was about £20 but that was a few years ago now.

The box is located on the drivers side of the engine bay, if thats any help.

When mine when wrong - it was dead no turn over nothing.

#7 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

The bit I am talking about was seperate from the ECU, its a black plastic box which whne you lift the cover off it has 4 bobbin like things in it - it was one of these that was faulty that caused al my problems - new one was about £20 but that was a few years ago now.

The box is located on the drivers side of the engine bay, if thats any help.

When mine when wrong - it was dead no turn over nothing.

its a good idea to check that- its a fairly common problem.

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

The Sykes and Pickavant ACR will read the MPi ECU with the correct aplication pod and cable, however, purchasing one is not a cheep option.

Give Icklemini a PM, he may be able to help you if you are in an area close to him that is, failing that it is a decent auto diagnostics technician you need and these are few and far between.

Try these people http://www.atpelectronics.co.uk/ they can check your ECUs off car, thoroughly, that then leaves the wiring if they are all good. If they are faulty, you still need to double check your wiring before you reconnect the replacement ECUs, these things dont go pop for the fun of it, there needs to be a seriuous problem to cause the failure, usualy dead shorts are the best way of smoking the ECU.

#9 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

i have checked all the relays on and off the car by hot wiring them without the ecu in using the red 36 pin connector, they all work fine. one thing i have knowticed is my mini seems to be wired completely different to the diagrams in the haynes and the technical library, both in coulour and wiring, anyone else experienced this? the wires that differe are the ones to the alarm ecu and to the realy box where it has a direct connection to the key switch in the diags it goes to the ecu in my car, i am 100% sure of this because ive had all the tape off the loom not to mention all the testing ive done with a multimeter. ive cleared out my garage so i can work on it at night, so il keep you posted if i manage to find anything wrong with the wiring side anyway, i may give my local diagnostics place a ring and see what they say, they didnt seem to apoving when i asked if i could test the ecu out of the car. by bringing the relevant looms down lol. so it may have to be call out. has anyone here bought a computer link up cable for their mpi and had success, i was thinking of trying a rover forum next, but they may get confused with the mems 3 ecu. which i belive is eobd unlike the 2j or whatever its called ive found a good site with some comprehensive diagrams for cataram kit car using rover stuff, and its really good gives picturesand everyting its here :

http://homepage.swis...e.ch/TomsSeven/

it has the vvc version but the sub systems are the same
i think you may find this usefull.

#10 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

i have checked all the relays on and off the car by hot wiring them without the ecu in using the red 36 pin connector, they all work fine. one thing i have knowticed is my mini seems to be wired completely different to the diagrams in the haynes and the technical library, both in coulour and wiring, anyone else experienced this? the wires that differe are the ones to the alarm ecu and to the realy box where it has a direct connection to the key switch in the diags it goes to the ecu in my car, i am 100% sure of this because ive had all the tape off the loom not to mention all the testing ive done with a multimeter. ive cleared out my garage so i can work on it at night, so il keep you posted if i manage to find anything wrong with the wiring side anyway, i may give my local diagnostics place a ring and see what they say, they didnt seem to apoving when i asked if i could test the ecu out of the car. by bringing the relevant looms down lol. so it may have to be call out. has anyone here bought a computer link up cable for their mpi and had success, i was thinking of trying a rover forum next, but they may get confused with the mems 3 ecu. which i belive is eobd unlike the 2j or whatever its called ive found a good site with some comprehensive diagrams for cataram kit car using rover stuff, and its really good gives picturesand everyting its here :

http://homepage.swis...e.ch/TomsSeven/

it has the vvc version but the sub systems are the same
i think you may find this usefull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users