#1 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Local Club: National Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

Is anyone experiencing probs with Sky Broadband.

I keep loosing my connection via my wireless router and at 1st could solve this by simply powering it down and re-energising, problem solved.

Over the past few days I can’t get any connection even after numerous attempts at a power down on the router and all that happens is I get the message acquiring network address.

I called then twice last night on their technical support line which cost a million pound a minute and spoke to 2 different guys who sounded like they were on another planet and kept repeating everything I told them with contradicting information only to be eventually told its not their problem and must be with my laptop.

When I used Tiscali via a Belkin router all was fine for the 2 years I had it and when I connect to another local unsecured wireless connection, no problems. The problem seems to be with the signal from the router as it keeps coming and going from the list of available wireless connections.

There is also a guy at work who has exactly the same problem and I don’t believe this is coincidence.

Can any help? Please. :withstupid: >:lol: :P :P :rolleyes:

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:42 AM

minimole is very helpfull with the telphone line side of these problems and helped me out

#3 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

I called then twice last night on their technical support line which cost a million pound a minute and spoke to 2 different guys who sounded like they were on another planet and kept repeating everything I told them with contradicting information only to be eventually told its not their problem and must be with my laptop.

When I used Tiscali via a Belkin router all was fine for the 2 years I had it and when I connect to another local unsecured wireless connection, no problems. The problem seems to be with the signal from the router as it keeps coming and going from the list of available wireless connections.

We were thinking of changing over to Sky from Tiscali next month...... maybe not!

Tiscali have been utterly useless over the last year, when we had problems setting up our modem on the new PC we were told by the lovely Indian lady, (who we'd been on the phone to for over an hour), that our computer must be broken!!!! It had only arrived four hours previously and was perfect!!!! :rolleyes:

Another half hour phone call ended with me suddenly realising the obvious, and telling Sy to ask them if our old install disc was compatible with Vista..... Which it wasn't, something they knew from the first thirty seconds of the phone call, a money making tactic if ever I saw one :lol: :withstupid:

Sorry I don't know much about wireless connections, other than the usual advice... check that you haven't got any mobile equipment, phone, radio etc. intermittently interfering with the router signal, my brother had consistent problems and found out it was the neighbouring offices phone system interfering with his work routers........ :P

#4 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

minimole is very helpfull with the telphone line side of these problems and helped me out

Cheers bungle, I have pm'd him

#5 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

We were thinking of changing over to Sky from Tiscali next month...... maybe not!

Tiscali have been utterly useless over the last year, when we had problems setting up our modem on the new PC we were told by the lovely Indian lady, (who we'd been on the phone to for over an hour), that our computer must be broken!!!! It had only arrived four hours previously and was perfect!!!! :rolleyes:

Another half hour phone call ended with me suddenly realising the obvious, and telling Sy to ask them if our old install disc was compatible with Vista..... Which it wasn't, something they knew from the first thirty seconds of the phone call, a money making tactic if ever I saw one :lol: :withstupid:

Sorry I don't know much about wireless connections, other than the usual advice... check that you haven't got any mobile equipment, phone, radio etc. intermittently interfering with the router signal, my brother had consistent problems and found out it was the neighbouring offices phone system interfering with his work routers........ :P

Very politically correct re the Indian lady, I wonder if she realises the phone call costs more than her years wages.

I'll check re other mobile equipment as I have one of those digital tv transmitter things which sends sky tv to another tv in the house wirelessly.

#6 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:25 AM

Very politically correct re the Indian lady, I wonder if she realises the phone call costs more than her years wages.

I'll check re other mobile equipment as I have one of those digital tv transmitter things which sends sky tv to another tv in the house wirelessly.

She was lovely to be fair.... :withstupid: Just a shame she didn't have a clue what she was talking about!
The guy we spoke to later on in the evening was the sneaky one, asking about our install disc straight away, then using cheap tactics, like telling us to turn the computer off and leave it for two minutes (while staying on the phone to them) and rubbish like that...... he knew instantly what the problem was but kept us hanging on...... I seriously thought about making a complaint about it! :lol:

#7 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

Right...

acquiring network address.

thats your computer syncing with the router.
have you tried renewing your ip address??
(if you dont understand - pm me)

its not a problem with sky but more a problem with your router.. is the router sky supplied? do they update them automatically?? (had the same problem with orange broadband)
it may be that if they do update them that its caused the router to have an incorrect setting somewhere along the line..
do you have access to the config? you may be able to change a few settings, namely one called dhcp which should be on. (this hands out the relevent ip addresses for each computer and without it, your computer by default wont know what to do.. and will be stuck on acquiring network address for some time until finally it will give up)

got the model number for your router and ill have a look through and see if i can see anything in the manual....

the more info you got the better...

#8 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

Right...

acquiring network address.

thats your computer syncing with the router.
have you tried renewing your ip address??
(if you dont understand - pm me)

its not a problem with sky but more a problem with your router.. is the router sky supplied? do they update them automatically?? (had the same problem with orange broadband)
it may be that if they do update them that its caused the router to have an incorrect setting somewhere along the line..
do you have access to the config? you may be able to change a few settings, namely one called dhcp which should be on. (this hands out the relevent ip addresses for each computer and without it, your computer by default wont know what to do.. and will be stuck on acquiring network address for some time until finally it will give up)

got the model number for your router and ill have a look through and see if i can see anything in the manual....

the more info you got the better...

Thanks Matt, very helpfull.

I'm at work at the mo and am going away tonight straight from work untill Friday so wont be able to give you much more info or try anything untill then.

All I can say is that yes I can get into the config as Sky told me how to do that last night and its a Netgear router.

Cheers.

#9 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

right okay so its a sky supplied router..

i may well be able to find out what it is in the mean time.....

but whenever you never have a chance to post it all up.. just let me know all the details you have.. either on here. msn, or pm and ill have a looksie and see if i can sort it...

lemme know either way :lol:

#10 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:18 AM

right okay so its a sky supplied router..

i may well be able to find out what it is in the mean time.....

but whenever you never have a chance to post it all up.. just let me know all the details you have.. either on here. msn, or pm and ill have a looksie and see if i can sort it...

lemme know either way :lol:

Nice one

#11 Danny341

Danny341

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

Just on the off chance, Make sure you keep a correct log of all the calls you make...

Time started/ Time ended, Total time etc..

I find this to be a good backup when the poop hits the fan and you want out, as you can show them you have spent a large amount on money/time with them and nothing came of it.

#12 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:53 AM

i do believe that you can goto ofcom and claim back the telephone charges if you've had to spend a considerable amount of time on the phone but not actually resolved the problem.

yep as Danny says... keep a log...
If things arnt resolved you can then turn around and say that you have spent x amount of minutes on the telephone and has cost you a total of x.
It makes it considerbly easier if you come to get the sacred mac code.

#13 black jack1275

black jack1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:57 AM

Sky normally supply a netgear router

#14 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

dont suppose you happen to know of a model number do you blackjack??

it just makes it a bit easier to search through on the laptop

#15 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:17 PM

dont suppose you happen to know of a model number do you blackjack??

it just makes it a bit easier to search through on the laptop

I just rang the missus and she had a look and gave me the following numbers:

SN: IJ3277B910710
Mac: 001B2F960CEA

272-10398-02

CE 0681

DO any of these help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users