10 replies to this topic

#1 funky_monkey

funky_monkey

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:51 PM

I've been into cars for a long time but I'm a newbie at restoration. I'd like my first restoration to be a mini. Don't know much about it though.. I have a ton of questions so here goes:

Types
-I've been hearing a lot about the types of Mini's there are. What's the difference between a Morris Mini, Austin Mini, Rover Mini, and Mini Cooper?

Engine
-I'm planning to build from scratch, get a MkI chassis and Body, get a 1990's Injected Rover Engine for reliability and plug it in. Is this advisable? What kind of mini chassis and body should I get?
-Aside from turbocharging, what other engine modifications can you do to make the car go faster?

Suspension
-Is it advisable to get a replacement Japanese Hi-Lo suspension system? I've seen the original suspension(big rubber ball), it doesn't seem too good.

Brakes
-From what I gathered, the 10 inch disc brakes are favored to the 12 inch discs. Why is this so? Did I get it wrong?

Wheels/ Tires
-Is it just preference or is it better to get 10 inch wheels rather than 12 or 13 inch wheels?

Electricals
-How large of an alternator should be put in? Ill be needing juice for A/C, a substantial sound system, and 5-6 headlights(inspired by the Italian Job!) :))

Lights
-Are there HID headlamps and Angel Eyes available for the classic Mini?

I have tons more questions but thats it for now. I hope the experts here can help me out :wub:

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:22 AM

Difference between types: Basically None, over the 40+ years of production it has been called many things. I could go into the details but at this level probably not necessary.

Engine, that is possible, but things will be a tight squeeze, and you will have to modify an original MK1 subframe to accept the injection block ( as the engine moved slightly forward to make room for the injection unit etc ), also the purists amongst us would probably shoot you for such an heinous act

Mk1's and 2's and even 3's are getting rarer, and most, which are still "projects" are real floor up rebuilds. You’d be better of picking up an 80's made vehicle ( could cost you as little as 50 quid ) and start from there.

Performance... just read any of the Mini Mags, there is a vast potential in the engine from cams, heads boring etc.

The rubber suspension of a mini is excellent as what it does. You could change the cones for springs, or change the suspension completely to coil over shocks…Hilo’s are just a change in the strut which allows the adjustment of the ride height, which is no bad thing either…. As for Japanese Hilo’s, never heard of that one

Brakes, there are basically 2 types of disks, those which fit under 10” wheels and those that don’t. To cut a long story short, brakes which go under 10” wheels are not cheap, where as those which fit under 12” 13” wheels are standard.

Wheels, personal preference

You won’t know that until all electricals are fitted, standard alt’ is about 45amps

Angle eyes are available, but not strictly road legal, I have seen HID conversions for the H4 Bulb therefore could be used on the mini, but they cost in IRO 400/500 pounds.

Anymore…. (me fingers are tired now)

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:23 AM

Sorry, just seen that you're in the Phillipines.... Bit difficult to go down the local Scrap yard and pick up a mini !

Start with what you can get !

Edited by GuessWorks, 07 March 2005 - 08:24 AM.

#4 funky_monkey

funky_monkey

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:57 AM

with regards to the engine, are there people who have done this? if i dont go with the rover engine, how do i make the old, 40 year old engine reliable?

i've seen several mini's for sale locally, the good condition mk1's go for around 2-3 thousand euro's converted. I read in another cooper website that if a cooper is made between 1959-1967, it is a MK1. Is this accurate?

whoa! 400-500 pounds for HID lights? I think I just changed my mind and will just go with standard lights or fog lights :wink: :wink:

there are actually quite a number of enthusiasts and there is a mini club here but membership is nowhere near the numbers in europe.

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

The old carburettored mini engines are very reliable, and some may say more reliable than the injection versions :cheese: . Simplicity is the main reason for this.

There is also a big thing on conversions, VTech and Vauxhall (GM) 16v engines.. and to the extreems of RWD conversions using Bike engines...

There is also another forum on the MiniMania site which has a large contigent from the US, Aus, NZ, and also some from the Phillipines aswell... maybe worth getting in with some of the 'locals' see how they find owning a mini, access to spares, etc...

#6 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:21 AM

Ive got Angel eye lights on my mini and 4 angel eye spots/fogs.

They arnt that expensive, It think about £80 for the lights and about the same for the fogs/spots.

Attached Files

#7 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

thats looks great charlie, but do they not come in the yellowish white same as the headlights?

hello and welcome to the mini forum funky_monkey!!

#8 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:39 AM

MCM: I think they just come in the white (looks bluish).

You can make the headligh angel eyes blue (or green) by butting a sleve over the bulbs but is illegal so I didnt do it.

#9 funky_monkey

funky_monkey

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:47 AM

minicooperman: thanks for the warm welcome!

I dont think I'll be going as far as converting it to RWD. The VTech conversion looks interesting though. What kind of engines can be used? Honda's or Toyota's? Are there Japanese engines that are made specifically for the mini? No more mount conversion?

those angel eyes look great! Good thing here in manila, there's no law prohibiting the use and modification of angel eyes since its not too common. When a lot of people start to use those, and it gets distracting, that's the time they'll prohibit :wink:

#10 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:37 AM

honda vtecs are commonly used, i dont know of any toyota ones

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:46 AM

I think the most common engine conversions are the Honda V-tec or the Vauxhaul engine. the Honda conversion will typically cost about £3500-£5000 where as the Vauxhaul conversion could be done for as little as £1500-£3000 (I'm not sure what these convert to in your currency). And if you can't get hold of the kit in the Phillipines then you would also have the added cost of shipping it over. Have a look at www.16vmini.co.uk for engine conversions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users