#1 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: MedwayMiniClub

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:29 PM

right,i have started to build a garage for my minivan using 3x2 cls timber,when finished it will be 18x12ft!.i plan to put this at the end of my garden where there is already a concrete base and access from private road.as there is houses/flats overlooking from all sides im wondering if im ok doing this and whether i need planning permisson because of the size?.as far as i know i should be ok as it wont be a permanent building as it will be made out of timber and can be easily taken apart?.any help on this matter much appreciated.

#2 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:18 PM

I don't think you do as it could just be classed as a rather large shed, and you dont need planning permission for a shed! Might be worth looking into it though

#3 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:16 PM

If there's a concrete base already in place, it means there was a building there previously. Therefore you don't need planning permission.

#4 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

If there's a concrete base already in place, it means there was a building there previously. Therefore you don't need planning permission.

thats what i was thinking,neigbours ok with me doing it so should be ok.

#5 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

good luck with it mate, im gonna be building similar soon, also for my minivan lol. post up a few pics for me please?

#6 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:38 PM

good luck with it mate, im gonna be building similar soon, also for my minivan lol. post up a few pics for me please?

will do mate,prob put it in other project's section,will be the biggest "shed" i've ever built.got to make it good as i will basically end up living in there :withstupid:

#7 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

will do mate,prob put it in other project's section,will be the biggest "shed" i've ever built.got to make it good as i will basically end up living in there :withstupid:

lol i said that to my girlfriend too. someone told me i should use locking blocks, feather board it and use a pitched roof for storage.

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:59 PM

i think you should be ok but it might pay to phone your local planing department and ask their advice

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

IF there is a change of use I believe you have to get planning. Also, it can depend on the size of the garage your building.

#10 rasher

rasher

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

I've recently built a garage the same way your doing yours, i applied to the planning department asking for permission, i was told that as long as it was less than 30 square meters floor space and no more than 4 meters high, than it doesn't need any planning permission, because its being built using timber it still gets seen as a temporary building (same as sheds etc)
I hope this help.

#11 millsminis

millsminis

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

I would say yes you may need planning permission, as you are ultimately building something that wasn't there before, plus due to its size(its bigger than a normal garage or shed) and also that you are surrounded by lots of houses/flats. Due to this there maybe a stipulation to have it kind of aesthetically pleasing by painting it etc.....

Edited by millsminis, 17 November 2007 - 11:13 PM.

#12 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:14 PM

cheers for the feedback so far,will give local planning a ring,got to build it regardless-need my van down in kent asap and im definatly not leaving it outside!

#13 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

I would say yes you may need planning permission, as you are ultimately building something that wasn't there before, plus due to its size(its bigger than a normal garage or shed) and also that you are surrounded by lots of houses/flats. Due to this there maybe a stipulation to have it kind of aesthetically pleasing by painting it etc.....

next door already has a pre-fab concrete garage thats been there for years,the garage im building is only going to be the size of the existing base.worse case senario is that i build it then have to take it down,

#14 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:18 AM

you normally get away with pre-fab and timber as its classed as temporary

#15 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:48 AM

It would always be worth ringing up and finding out about planning permission if in doubt in case it is needed. You don't want to be in the situation 5 years later for example to have to knock it down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users