#1 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

right (for the 2nd time bloody conection!!!) iv decided to start up my project for the rally car. when i start rallying il have to keep upto date with repairing bit and changing things as i feel fit
Posted Image

The cars great only one or two problems at the moment (other than getting used to the dogbox) last wednesday i came to start the mini and was misfiering/ weak spark quite badly. i was planning to take it to southam mini and metro centre to investigate a rattling noise (which is aparently how straightcut gears sound lol) but that problem got overlooked when i bearly made it there. Turns out Cyl. 1 and 4 were fouled with oil giving weak/no spark
rod there said it might possibly be cylinder head so i did a bit of intesigating on saturday, took the Cyl. head off then and didnt apear to be any signs of blowing, to make sure i took it to southam they said was all good.
They said then that the cause could possibly be because the carb' is overfueling a fair amount it could be bore washing disallowing the rings to seal correctly (new engine) there for the allowing oil into the combustion process and onto the plugs etc

i decided while the head was off id clean it up, because oil was entering the cylinder it had passed to the ports leaving it 'orrible n sticky
Posted Image

inlet ports were clean but shows some of the porting that its had
Posted Image

so tonight it was ready to go back on..i did however notice the hone marks werent thaaaat great
Posted Image
Hone marks.
Posted Image
Bores.
Posted Image
Head fitted.
Posted Image
All back together....well almost my torque wrench wasnt high enough so still need to be fully torqued down (pinched up tight at the mo) after that iv got to make sure coolent hoses are connected correctly, connect accel' cable check tappets and run up to temperature. once thats done redo the torque, fill with coolent and bleed the air from the system.
then thursday night or at latest saturday going for a rolling road session ready for malven on the sunday

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:12 AM

hone marks seem ok to me. what is wrong with them(being ignorant here)

#3 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:18 AM

they look better than when i 1st saw them

i dont know if there spost to feel rough but running my finger down, or nail i couldnt feel anything was smooth at my gasket faces

#4 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

David, take the head off when you go to tourque it up, then pour some oil down the bores, stick it in second gear and rock the car back and forth, if theres any C**p in there should free it up a it and line the bores with oil.

#5 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:38 AM

Those are standard valve sizes :) ... strange for a rally car, was that part of the regs for the events it was built for?

#6 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:48 AM

ill take the plugs out and turn it by the fan belt rather than F'ing about with the head again

and yeah, standard valves but with what looks like bronze valve guides and porting work throughout

no idea about the reg, i just bought the thing because i wanted it lol

#7 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:59 AM

haha, thats the way to do it!

#8 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:09 AM

ill take the plugs out and turn it by the fan belt rather than F'ing about with the head again

meh ok didnt think about that lol.

#9 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

all done and back togther now...still doesnt like idling at times but thats down to carb settings
been for a drive, cut out once but like i say carb' power wise, same i guess maybe a little laggie uptop but yet again carb...so thats why im gona try get it tuned up tomorrow if not, saturday

#10 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

all set up and running now! did go in for a power run but was going in just to be checked over, had smaller jets for idle and larger jets for top end, or at least to what it could be tuned to when the engine being run in. also the throttle butterly shaft may be twisted, it happens alot with competition cars from the heal and toe action demanding alot from the butterfly basicly it was every now and then leaking air past the butterfly thats why it liked to idle at 2k. this can be solved with new shaft or a extra throttle return spring.
also the timing was fiddled, it was set at 14btdc and now set later (cant remember now tho) they also sujested maving an earlier type dizzy as they advance more at higher revs.
when the engine run in fully said take it back to them final set up will be free :kiss: so at the same time ill also get them to whack the earlier dizzy on...just need to get the milage on it now

ooh and on the rollers 1st time iv heared what it sounds like from outside the mini and ooooooh sounds awesome!!!

Posted Image

see yal on sunday at malven!

#11 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:04 AM

southam??? ooo i cant wait to get down there in 350 miles to get my weber set up, will be good to hear mine roar from the outside :kiss:

#12 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:43 PM

where else would i get it set up :lol: thats colin there

got some noises i need to investigate tomorrow (as well as possible card fraud :cry: :cry: :( ) tighten up some other stuff aswell

#13 James182

James182

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:41 PM

wow that looks great! luv it! What power did you get from the rollers? or did i miss that? :)

James

#14 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

it didnt go in for a power run it was relly just for tuning the carb, when the engine run in i can take it back and free of change there gona do final set up

#15 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:28 PM

forgot to put this in here..well doh! wheel bearings colapsed i think
iv got a spare upright/hub assembly so to do things quick im just gona swap the unit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users