#1 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:44 AM

As you may be aware, Im purchasing a mini that has been deseamed, Now the guy rushed the finishing of the seams so that it needs fibreglass work to make the area whee the seams were totally flat, what i was wondering is,. is this right? Should fibreglass be used to make it all flat or will it crack??

Cheers Nick

Tottaly in the dark about deseaming, havent got a clue, nope nothing at all

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:51 AM

A picture, it is HUGE, havent got any imaging software on this computer.

And why is it why, when you drive for 45 mins to take a few pictures your batteries run out on your camera after the first picture **** LOL

Attached Files

#3 Hot MPI

Hot MPI

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

This is a tricky one. There is nothing wrong with deseaming provided it has done well. If the welding has been done to a good standard using the appropriate method (6" at a time), then the strength should be maintained. Usually the welds are then hammered back and finished smooth by lead loading. This is the 'old skool' way of doing it, however lead loading is a bit of a dead art. I should think that fibreglass would be a suitable substitute provided it was applied to a well keyed bare metal surface, and the gap it was attempting to bridge was not too large. I've never tried it, so this is just my opinion. Personally, I'm not a big fan of deseaming. It can look really good, but there is something a little primative about it that would make me cringe everytme I hit a bump!

By the way, £350 sounds like a good deal to me. You could get more than that if you stripped it and sold all the parts off, if the worst came to the worst.

Digital cameras; don't you just love their feable battery life!

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:48 AM

Why oh why do people choose to stick them headlights in various places around their car?! Headlights should go where headlights were designed to go, leave them there!!

just the humble opinions of little ol me!!

#5 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:39 PM

Why oh why do people choose to stick them headlights in various places around their car?! Headlights should go where headlights were designed to go, leave them there!!

just the humble opinions of little ol me!!

I belive it come from the minis rallying days.

It is used when reversing on the ralls so they can actually see whats behind them.

I think its on the Paddy Hopkirk mini.

So lets not have another bad word about it. :grin:

(But it looks slightly odd on that mini)

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

I see, I still think it looks daft on anything other than a rally mini. But its all down to personal opinion I guess.

#7 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

Im not a personal fan of deseaming i would never choose to have it done, fair enough on a GRP car but not on a metal 1, anyway its already been done, and was wondering whether its worth gettting the deseamed bit finished off.....

#8 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:32 PM

I see, I still think it looks daft on anything other than a rally mini. But its all down to personal opinion I guess.

Oh dear :P :( :cheese:

Attached Files

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:16 PM

I knew the second I said that, everyone was going to shout at me because they have one on their car!! Saying that though, yours doesn't look so bad because it doesn't seem so large and the strips make it seem to blend in more, but I'm going to be quiet now before people start picking up pitch forks!! :fear:

#10 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:18 PM

the best thing about minis u an customise them how u want em

now wheres my pitch fork LOL :tongue:

#11 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:25 PM

Run and hide :grin:

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:06 PM

I have to say that hearing that someone 'rushed the deseaming' would have me rushing away from the car as fast as I could. This is the same car that you said the guy didn't want to take the time to plate the inside of the welds with anything isn't it? Well, while it isn't absolutely required to plate the welds, if he hasn't done that and has rushed the stitching I would be thinking more than twice about it before I spent my money.

#13 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:36 AM

Dan, the seaming part wasnt rushed, it was the finishing that was, so its all a bit bumpy, im still dubious that it hasnt been plated from the inside. If it comes to it, i can make money back on parts. :(

#14 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:37 AM

dan, it wasnt the deseaming that was rushed it was the finishing off work to make it all smooth that was... my worry is that with a thick skim of filler the car will crack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users