#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:35 PM

Why are mini engine mounts so crappy?

I intend on building a spaceframe chassis kit-car this summer and using an A-series (maybe a turbo), mounted in the back.

What I'm thinking about is engine mounts. Why do mini mounts require the engine to have at LEAST 2 steady bars to enable it to work properly?
Should I use metro engine mounts since they seem like a much better design and work smoother and better without the need for steady bars which would complicate the design of the spaceframe since i'd need somehwere to mount them to.

Incidentally, what kind of steel box section is needed to hold an A series engine? The car will be built mostly out of 1" 2mm thick box section, but I'm a bit confused as to what to do about the bars that the engine will sit on.

Also final question relating to this car. Are mini driveshafts different length? I ALWAYS thought for some reason that they're equal (I even removed them once), but looking down into the engine bay of my mini it seems they aren't!

#2 Rob

Rob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:05 PM

mini drive shafts arew different lengths. ive never had a problem with standard engine mounts and steady bars as long as the rubber bushes are never aloud to perish and kept in good condition eg changed when they look a bit scabby.

polyurethane are high on my priority list these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users