#1 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:35 PM

Hi all
fairly new on here but would be grateful for a spot of advice if poss please!
started dismantling the gearbox on my 1990 project today, and im having trouble engaging 1st and 4th as described in the manuals which should lock the gearbox to facilitate removing the first nut on the mainshaft (just behing the circlip and roller bearing which are the first ones off). Everywhere else i've looked it says turn the gear selector anticlockwise to release it from the selector arms, i try this but it only turns anticlockwise as far as the selecting 1st/2nd position, i can see how if it could be turned so that it doesnt touch any selector arms then it would be easy to move the 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th synchro hubs to effect the lock, but does anyone know how to release it? doesnt want to turn any further anticlockwise (medium FH rather than BFH used so far), and i cant see how it can be removed in any other way...or perhaps there is some other way to lock the gearbox?
cheers!

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:52 PM

The book is right mate. Have you taken off the diff and both side plates and removed the ball, spring and its sleeve? The ball sleeve stops the interlock spool from turning around so you need to remove it completely. If you have pulled out all of those parts then the spool is probably just a bit siezed in the case. It shouldn't need the larger adjusting stick to be applied.

#3 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:58 PM

a-ha! I'd already removed all the bits of diff and the spring and i wondered if that hole might have something to do with it, almost expected to find a little grub screw in the hole holding the spool in place...so how does the sleeve come out, i already tried kindof levering it with a screwdriver but to no avail?
thanks again

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:35 PM

Ah well, now that's where things don't quite follow the instructions. The book says (as ever) 'and withdraw the ball, spring and sleeve' which of course makes it sound dead easy. The sleeve is a good fit in the hole but shouldn't be too hard to geet out. It's probably just a bit of alloy corrosion built up around the outside of it, spray a good amount of release fluid into the hole and leave it to sit a while (since you are re-building the box anyway you will have easy access to clean out all the fluid and make sure everything is properly lubricated when you build it up). Try not to deform the sleeve too much or you'll have to buy a new one. A piece of strong wire with a small lip formed on one end could be used as a hook to pull it out, or you could try wedging in a rod which is a good fit into the sleeve. But that's what needs to come out.

#5 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:35 PM

cheers for that all sorted and stripped down now, including the fun part where the 'assistant' which helps you remove the nut at the other end of the mainshaft is actually a nearby mini which you jack up and lower onto the 'box to stop it turning, while you jump up and down on the breaker bar... :grin:

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:59 PM

Turn it upside down, and stand on it... It is the only way, unless you have straps concreted into the floor :saywhat:

#7 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:47 AM

yeah standing on it worked for the nut at the flywheel side but the one at the other side just wouldnt budge that way...and I'm 95kg!! so found a use for the clubby at last anyway....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users