#1 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Local Club: On the search!

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:03 PM

I finished work and decided to fill up in the petrol station. Fine getting there, but when I got petrol and went to start again it sort of semi-turned over, just giving some clicking noise. A man waiting behind me helped me push the car over to a clear spot, at the same time trying to bump start it. didnt work so I rang a good friend for some advice and a tow home.
When he got here, we tried to use leads thinking it might be a dead battery (even tho all my lights work) and that didnt work. In a last effort we tried to bump start it but in reverse, and got it going!!! :)
I managed to drive it all the way home (about half a mile) and turned off, tried to start again and not even any noise happens now. My friend said this is probably the starter motor.
Just wondering if anyone can confirm this before I go and buy one.

Many thanks in advance

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

you shouldn't really bump start a car with a catalytic converter

cant help with the engine trouble

#3 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:09 PM

I no longer have a catalytic converter, but just out of curiosity why not?

[EDIT] Is a stepper motor the same name as a starter motor? When I went to the rolling road, the guy pluged his computer in and it came up with stepper motor falt, but he said he seemed fine.

Edited by Bevan, 26 November 2007 - 06:25 PM.

#4 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

being an injection it could be alot of things. lights would still come on if the battery is half dead. it takes alot of juice to start a car. try another friends battery and see if it works mate :)

#5 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

I was on the motor way, covered over 200 miles, surly they battery would be charged up from a long distance like that? But yes I will have to take my mums battery and try that :)

Come to think of it, good thing i didnt break down yesterday in kent! thats a long way from home!

#6 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

Duff battery.

Duff alternator.

Duff starter.

Duff wiring with any of the above.

Take your pick!!

#7 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:45 PM

Just had a quick look again, a friend reckons its defently the starter, the engine doesent turn atall. Im gonna unbolt it all and strip it all down, see if anything is jammed or worn.

#8 Big_jim

Big_jim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

Sounds like the starter to me, the clicking would be the solenoid throwing the gear out, but the motor its self isnt turning...

its always been the case with me that if i clean and re-grease the starter gear it will work but only last about 2months is before the problems come back...

hope this helps

Jim

#9 pogie

pogie

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Local Club: Essex MC

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

I Just Broke Down!, Need some advice

Chin up, get a grip, it will be better in the morning, every clouds got a silver lining...... :lol:

Seriously. Before shelling out for a new starter try cleaning all the electrical connections and earth points on the battery, solenoid, starter motor and engine to body shell earth strap. The starter pulls a huge currant and any rust / carp on any of the above can cause problems, so getting all the connections nice and shiny can make a difference.

Edited by pogie, 26 November 2007 - 11:22 PM.

#10 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:35 PM

No, a stepper motor is totally different to a starter motor. Cars don't have stepper motors.

#11 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

some cars have steppr motors, with the auto choke, some use signals from the ECU to trigger the stepper motor to close the choke a predetermined amount

#12 jae_lock

jae_lock

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

Check your engine earth connections - the strap from the engine block to the bulkhead under the engine steady bar (and also the battery one while you're at it). Measure with a multimeter between the screw on the bonnet switch to the alternator casing - should be about half an ohm or less. Battery volts (at battery) should be above 12.5 volts. If the engine earth is duff, it won't be charging. The starter will make clicking noises if it isn't getting enough volts from a low battery.

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

I shall move this to the Injection section, so the Doctors in there can give you there expert diagnosis!

However, if Injection cars still use a solenoid; if you turn the key to turn it over and you can hear a click, thats the solenoid working. This means either the starter isn't get enough juice to turn over, isn't earthed properly, starter is FUBAR, or engine is binding somewhere.

If you don't get a click then either battery is completely FUBAR, or solenoid is FUBAR, or no juice getting to solenoid.

#14 duncancallum

duncancallum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local Club: South Lancs Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

inj cars have a stepper motor it controls the idle from you diog i would think poss starter

although first clean all the earths up, test the battery with a multimeter or try a jump on it to see if its low voltage.

also get some one the turn the key in the ignition and hit the solinoid this can sometimes unstick them short term

#15 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

I got the starter motor and solenoid off today, and to be honest I really dont know what im looking at from this point onwards. I have read up in the haynes manual a starter motor pinion compressor tool is required to refit it all back, and I do not have one of these. I am going to ring up my local dealer tomorow and see if they will do an exchange unit, atleast that way I know its going to have a new starter motor.

Where abouts can I find the stepper motor and what do they look like? I dont know if this should be rite, but when my car idles (about 800 revs when warm) it does seem to be a bit jumpy, not much but sometimes it feels like it wants to stall but never does. I just thought its because its old and has always done that, does this sound like a problem too? Could this be related to the stepper motor?

[EDIT] When I say refit it all back, I mean taking apart the starter motor and refitting it all back together, not fitting it back to the engine.

Edited by Bevan, 27 November 2007 - 07:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users