37 replies to this topic

#16 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:40 PM

Vmax everytime...not bought either of these kits but been on his rollers a few times and he's a top bloke. And looks after his customers!

On the other hand jonspeed....

http://www.turbomini...p...&tid=187302

That link is so out of date it's laughable!
That was all sorted out, the customer (and his mechanic) accepted that it wasn't as they had originally posted and Jonspeed have gone out of their way to help him out to his complete satisfaction.

Please be careful to add accurate and personal experience only to these threads, not heresay or conjecture!

It is true that everytime "Jon speed" are mentioned good or bad you are very quick with complimentry comments.
I am curios to your connection too.

#17 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

I don't think Jake would have any problem with admitting that he defends Jonspeed because he knows them and uses them all of the time. That is the connection, he's got personal experience with them. :teehee:

#18 Mini-man

Mini-man

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:49 PM

i have had people tell me good and bad about jonspeed.. i have phoned them up and seem really helpful as far as i can tell. suppose cant really go off other people's views until you find out yourself i suppose.

#19 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

I don't think Jake would have any problem with admitting that he defends Jonspeed because he knows them and uses them all of the time. That is the connection, he's got personal experience with them. :teehee:

Personal experience !!! Oh er
That is the reason he defends them.

I'm sure he can answer himself.

If I type Jon speed in this reply do you think his filter will pick it up and he will reply???

#20 SimonKnight

SimonKnight

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 MINIS

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

hi mate i would get into contact with ker781g on the forum as he has fitted one to his car and had a few issues and am sure he would be willing to talk to you about it.

simon

#21 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

suppose cant really go off other people's views until you find out yourself i suppose.

Exactly!

Nice to be talked about though I wasn't there.

IF...you look through all the other posts on this subject you will find your questions answered in full.

hi mate i would get into contact with ker781g on the forum as he has fitted one to his car and had a few issues and am sure he would be willing to talk to you about it.

simon

That's who the link refers to and who I am talking about!

#22 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

If I type Jon speed in this reply do you think his filter will pick it up and he will reply???

He? His?...I do have a name folks...

#23 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

I don't think Jake would have any problem with admitting that he defends Jonspeed because he knows them and uses them all of the time. That is the connection, he's got personal experience with them. ;D

He? His?...I do have a name folks...

Jesus, he's only using the English language, they're not offensive words. It's perfectly alright to use the word he or his when the person who is being talked about is understood within the conversation.

My personal experience with Jonspeed is that they bodge stuff up and then it breaks, they talk up a good job, but don't always deliver. I gave up taking my engine back, took the amount it had cost me on the chin and went somewhere else - and ~I'll never go back.

You (Jake) say you have nothing to do with Jonspeed, however, you seem to know all about thit other guys story. As far as I am aware, no resolution has been posted on the forums, so Jonspeed must have told you. If you are just a customer of theirs it's not exactly professional of them to be telling you all about another customer is it?

I wouldn't touch their kit with a barge pole.

#24 minisprint

minisprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 minis

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

IF...you look through all the other posts on this subject you will find your questions answered in full.

simon

That's who the link refers to and who I am talking about!

not entirely true some of the post were deleted!
ok david and jonspeed have come to some arangement! That is between them! If it was my car i wouldnt have been happy with the out come! But as i told you jake ive agreed to leave it but it seams you are only happy when is suits you !Some people get on with a company some dont! The tread was not the last one on about jonspeed. I think if you were to do a google search it may get you some info! i think to be honest if you were to be considering a supercharger kit it would be better to contact the companys direct and ask them why you should buy there kit over the others and get them to give you the reason!Also speek to people like he is trying to now and get there opinions.as there are a lot of people who have done forced induction for many years.i.e vmax
After all you wouldnt just buy one because someone you didnt know told you too!
when you think about it it is like the cheap chinese copys of motorbikes they look the same but the genuine one is better everytime!
end of the day the supercharger was designed for a 1.6 MINI engine so proberly wouldnt suit a mini engine 100% but may work! i know iam no expert but it does make sense to get one designed for a a series!
hope you understand why ive posted this!
it is not a cheap dig at jonspeed it is my view on the situation
if jake blues you dont like it please delete! speak soon!

#25 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

Vmax everytime...not bought either of these kits but been on his rollers a few times and he's a top bloke. And looks after his customers!

On the other hand jonspeed....

http://www.turbomini...p...&tid=187302

That link is so out of date it's laughable!
That was all sorted out, the customer (and his mechanic) accepted that it wasn't as they had originally posted and Jonspeed have gone out of their way to help him out to his complete satisfaction.

Please be careful to add accurate and personal experience only to these threads, not heresay or conjecture!

Out of date...11th November what year/month are you in?? lol

No smoke without fire in my opinion.

Ive read plenty of threads on various forums and the general opinion is the the jonspeed setup is that it is a bodge and is misleading that it is a simple bolt on job where it is far from it!!

Edited by matty..., 28 November 2007 - 11:14 PM.

#26 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:03 AM

I believe that some of the subject matter IS out of date, as there are issues listed in that linked thread on TM that have been resolved.

Anyway, I believe the best way forward with this case is to talk to different manufacturers of these kits.

I had a similar thing with Minisport. There was loads of talk on forums about how bad their alloy 4 pots are. When I actually phoned them and talked to them, they were very open about what problems there had been AND what had been done to rectify said problems and avoid them happening in the future.

#27 Andykettle

Andykettle

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 MINIS!

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:59 AM

None! Just like to see a fair discussion!

FAIR DISCUSSION! I like to see fair discussions but you cant have one when people delete your posts. BIASED discussion more like.
VMAX Scart is definatly the way to go.

#28 nobbycameron

nobbycameron

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

i thought these forums were meant to be a place where fellow mini enthusiasts can share information and help each other out,

not just to have slanging matches!

which seems to be what it degenerates to far too often

have fun ladies

#29 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

Well, I hope you can filter through it and read some of the useful stuff. ;D

I mean, there is information out there....

I was actually speaking to someone on the Jonspeed stand at Malvern this weekend, the guy I was talking to seemed like a nice guy. He explained how teh kit worked and what work was involved to fit it, he also stated that I could either go the decompression plate route, or the modified combustion chamber route to get the compression ratio down to a decent level.

But, I have no personal experience of fitting a kit, so I can't really help you there to be honest.

#30 nobbycameron

nobbycameron

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

thanks for that

i went to the malvern show aswell, saw the engine on their stand which is what caught my attention, i didnt actually speak to the guy because he was with someone else but the kit looked like a good idea.

at the moment im a poor student so would probably be looking at the jonspeed kit over the vmax, i dont mind spending a couple of hours making it fit if its gona save me a few hundred quid.

i dont expect it to be a bolt on kit with no dramas and i dont mind playing with bits to get it all to fit nicely,

i would like to go the route of taking material off the head rather than fitting the decompression plate but i dont know whether it will be suffice because i run a quite high compression 1380, with dished powermax pistons, does anyone know what the optimum compression ratio is with these kits??

does anyone know whether you can keep a late type servo and ultimate engine steady bar with these kits?

whats everyones opinion on having an 11 stud head, will it be necesary or do you think 9 will be ok, any ideas on what the minimum i cou,ld do to the gearbox to take about 140 brake without going bang??

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users