5 replies to this topic

#1 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:21 PM

the only thing i can see is wrong is the engine to body earth strap is broke, but since thats broke, the ignition light stays on even when ignition is turned off on the key, when the engine is running i turn it off on the key and it just stays running.
the battery keeps goin flat when i leave it.
can all this just be down to that earth strap???
please help, desperate now!!!!

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 02 February 2004 - 07:25 PM

Try changin it, if it doesnt work then your gonna have to go through the ignition system with a circuit tester and find the fault... Probly find its jus one wire that has a bad connection, but the knock on effect is a nightmare!

#3 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:48 AM

Worth checking the ignition switch first!

Have you changed anything recently or worked on the car? Might have dislodged something, though I can’t think why the engine would keep running unless the ignition switch is faulty.

Sometimes when an earth is removed the pesky electrickery finds its way through another circuit to earth causing lots of weird problems so its definitely worth replacing that earth strap!

#4 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:31 PM

the earth strap is now replaced, it made no difference at first, apart from turning the charging light off. tried starting and stopping a few times was ok, then started all over again and wouldn't turn off, so i removed the std air box which was touching some wires on the bulkhead just behind my speedo, and it was all fine. there must be some bad connections there, so i am getting the new connectors out tomorrow and redoing all the connections behind the dash!

#5 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 05:53 PM

Well i am going to fitt a master cut-off switch on my mini (when i get round to it)
This would cure yours !

#6 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:50 AM

cured it!
wend round with the wd and cleaned loads of connections, redid some and fitted a rev counter whilst i was at it. it now does exactly what its sposed to.
jobs a good un!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users