#1 Kristie

Kristie

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:10 PM

Hello

New to this forum, been driving my mini for 2-3years, and i am desperate for some advice.

I can hear a metal on metal, rotational, screaching noise coming from front passenger wheel area. I don't think it is the bearings because i have jacked the car up and rocked the wheel and it seems sturdy. I have also spun the wheel in the air and can not hear the noise. It gets louder when the car has warmed up. Another grinding noise has also developed, which i think is related to it. It sounds like the driveshaft is rubbing on something but i am struggling to see where.

I drive a mini40 (1275 sportspack mpi), could part problem have something to do with the steering rack?

Thank you

#2 duncancallum

duncancallum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local Club: South Lancs Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

its hard to say with out hearing it but my first look would be to see how much wears in the pads and to make sure the disc guards are ok and doesnt have a stone in it

#3 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

Is it an alernate sounding squeel... i.e on and off every half turn? If so, and like you say it's getting louder, I'd get your castle nuts checked and torqued up. I would also get your ball joints checked at the same time (rocking the wheel top to bottom will also tell you if theres play).

Get it done sooner rather than later though - I went from Somerset-London-Brighton-Somerset in a day with a loose castle nut... the tire compound could literally be rubbed off with your fingers it was getting so hacked up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users