68 replies to this topic

#46 kwacktastic

kwacktastic

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yes - nothing's changed - I still think they're great! I've done over five thousand miles with them and they're so much more comfortable than my old rubber springs. I don't know if Minitastic are still in existance as the last time I looked their website had gone. Good luck whatever you decide.

Kwack

#47 Kerrin

Kerrin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Local Club: Manx Mini Register

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

I am keeping an eye on this thread, currently deciding whether to go for the uprated rubber cones from minispares, £50 each

Or go for the Minitastic fast road Springs.

The website has gone but it looks like the web host pulled the plug on a load of people's web sites if you read the complaints posted, so I am not sure its minitastic's fault.

After emailing them a while ago the only annoying thing is that the minitastic springs (according to the email I got from them) need to be fitted to their own hi-lo's

I have a set of adjusta rides on my car and a spare set from a crashed car, but cant use them, and will need to pay extra for another setup, the uprated rubber will be a fair bit cheaper in the long run with the forum discount.

Still thinking!!

#48 twiglett

twiglett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

i have just fitted rear coil springs in my mini, unfortunately i havent driven it on standard rubber springs so cannot tell the difference,
i have done a bounce test (me standing on the boot hinge panel bouncing around) and it seems that the coils are slightly smoother and have a more controlled compression and rebound (im on standard monroe shocks at the back).
when i bounced the rear of the car with rubber springs it would jolt around and didnt feel as if the shock absorbers where being compressed much.
but now the rear of the car rises and falls progressively and uses more of the shock absorbers travel.
it seems to ramp up the compression ratio in slight amounts instead of all at once. eg
rubber springs= cheap trampoline (lost of movement when your feet are off the surface)
coil springs= flexible diving board(same amount of movement but feet stay in contact with the board)

sorry for the crap comparisons i couldnt think of anything alse :withstupid:

hope this helps

by the way i have the red coils from huddersfield spares.

#49 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

i'm dragging up this old and forgotten post. Just wondering how the minitastic springs are doing 4/5 years on?

Cheers

#50 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

Id also like to know how they are doing after 5 years, kwack or anyone else who has them fitted?

#51 mailman

mailman

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

Also interested in peoples long term experiences. 

It seems that the "Minitastic" springs account for the problem that most have seen or heard of, and that is low tension on suspension droop. If so then they could perhaps be well worth it. I am in no great rush to change to springs but if progression continues they may become more of a factor.

#52 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

It's very good - it's certainly much better than the original rubber (though that was well past its use-by date!). This only thing I would say is that with this conversion, you're better off running at the standard ride height. You will then be able to deflect the wheels the maximum amount without running the risk of bringing the tyre and wheel arches into contact.

I've been running around on these springs now for several weeks and can honestly say that for my requirements, it was money well spent.

rgds,

Kwack

sorry to bump this up

Could you run them at standard ride height by just using the standard suspension cones?

As it seems that ( atleast mini mania kits) can be used ith the standard cones.

If someone else reads this, I also wonder howmuch the car would sit lower if you remove the spacer @ the knuckle joint, introduced around 1984 to set the car a bit higher for 12 inch wheels?

As mine  when the suspension cones were fine) sat quite high, and lowering it a cm wouldn' t hurt it I think :P

Cheers

#53 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

Anyone? :)

#54 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

ive just recently put new front rubber cones in genuine ones ( haven't done the back yet )

new protech shocks and camber etc and very happy with this

car feels great used for fast road as in lanes. I would want to drive a car with the coil springs in

maybe it could be even better

if it ever comes apart again would prob try the red dots

#55 firstforward

firstforward

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:08 PM

It's very good - it's certainly much better than the original rubber (though that was well past its use-by date!). This only thing I would say is that with this conversion, you're better off running at the standard ride height. You will then be able to deflect the wheels the maximum amount without running the risk of bringing the tyre and wheel arches into contact.

I've been running around on these springs now for several weeks and can honestly say that for my requirements, it was money well spent.

rgds,

Kwack

sorry to bump this up

Could you run them at standard ride height by just using the standard suspension cones?

If someone else reads this, I also wonder howmuch the car would sit lower if you remove the spacer @ the knuckle joint, introduced around 1984 to set the car a bit higher for 12 inch wheels?

As mine  when the suspension cones were fine) sat quite high, and lowering it a cm wouldn' t hurt it I think :P

Cheers

I do not understand the question, the coil springs are used in place of the rubber cones they cannot be used with the cones as suggested. If you meant the standard trumpets, can they be used with minitastic springs?, then no you have to buy the height adjuster kit.

#56 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

Dusty, I'm pretty sure you'd need to fit a version of a Hilo with any of the Springs.

The later Knuckle Joints add 15 mm to the ride height.

#57 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

rgds,

Kwack

sorry to bump this up

Cheers

I do not understand the question, the coil springs are used in place of the rubber cones they cannot be used with the cones as suggested. If you meant the standard trumpets, can they be used with minitastic springs?, then no you have to buy the height adjuster kit.

yes, ment the trumpets :P

Dusty, I'm pretty sure you'd need to fit a version of a Hilo with any of the Springs.

The later Knuckle Joints add 15 mm to the ride height.

thx! and crap :P MOT here does not allow for any adjustable height suspension ( they dont know enough about mini's to notice the difference between cones and springs) but they will notice the 2 big adjuster nuts.... 

I know, coil springs aren't ideal for the road etc, but my rear RHD side of the car decided to drop, knuckle joint is fine so I suspect the cone ( wich is 24 years old now!) . And I can (cheap-ish) get some suspension coils..

#58 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

Sorry, just to clarify there the 15 mm added ride height would be on the fronts, if fitted to the rears, it would add 17 - 18 mm.

I know the Coil Springs have their supporters, but IMO, they take a lot away from a Mini. There's been lots of talk of them, for and against.

In regards to the Hilo and your local MOT, get some (I think) 38 mm radiator hose and cut some short lengths to slip over the bolt and lock nut. Nothing to see, move along.

#59 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

I know coilsprings aren't ideal, most don't have the rising spring rate :P but atm I d use anything to be able to finaly drive the damn thing :P

#60 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

I know coilsprings aren't ideal, most don't have the rising spring rate :P but atm I d use anything to be able to finaly drive the damn thing :P

then just get some donuts and then you wont need to change them later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users