#1 davos1983

davos1983

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

Hi guys,

Thought it was time to upload my project! A blue 1977 Clubman Estate!

I first acquired this clubman off my housemate for a cool £100 about 5 months ago. It had just failed the MOT (drivers floorpan gone) and so was SORNed in our garage. Unfortunately he couldn't afford to fix it up so i offered to take it off his hands. At the time of acquiring it was perfectly drivable and from the following pics i think you'll agree it looked pretty nice! Benefits from the 1098 cc engine with 70,000 miles on the clock.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image>

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you'll see the car is completely original in terms of interior and bodywork and thats the way it will stay. After some initial tinkering though, i came across some shocking repairs which had been completed before my housemate took ownership. To begin with, i started removing some "surface rust" on the front wing and after a while, white powder came out! After attacking with an a sander, this was the outcome!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some monkey had filled rust holes with filler. The story was similar on the drivers side of the scuttle panel. Not quite sure what happened here but seems to be a huge dent filled in with filler! Once id removed this, my garage was covered in white dust hence why lots of the other pictures look dusty!

Posted Image

At this point i decided to strip the front down fully and see what the story was. Suprisingly, the drivers side wing was pretty good as is the front panel. Just need to weld in a new panel for the passenger side headlight:

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this point i decided it was time to strip the interior out as didnt want it getting damaged when i started work. At the same time i took all the sliding glass, window frames and rear doors off and put it all somewhere safe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When i first took this off i decided to check underneath the frames - its all suprisingly good! a few small holes which i can patch but otherwise good. I now had a chance to probe the rest of the car for rust. Turned out the drivers door had been bodged in a similar way with filler and paint so this had to come off. I have since acquired a new door frame which will be reskinned in time:

Posted Image

The drivers side a panel was a similar story as were the sills on both side. I decided to start on the back end of the car considering it was poking out the right end of the garage! Turns out the whole rear valence and fuel tank and bottom corners were rusted and yup you guessed it filled! After removing the tank, i drilled all the spot welds out and started cutting. Here's the progress:

Posted Image

Finally a clean underside:
Posted Image

This is the rusty tank and some scrap metal:

Posted Image

It seems that the rear subframe is in really good condition:

Posted Image

I shall take it out at some point and check around how it looks underneath - currently need it on all 4 wheels though so i can shift it round. All the new rear panels are currently waiting to be welded on when i get a chance and i shall then move on to the rest of the car.

Another odd bit of damage was a strange crease on the roof-guessing something was dropped on it at some point. So i hammered it out from the inside and will be smoothed when i get to painting:

Posted Image

Thats about all ive done so far! The plan is to sort out all the bodywork then restore it to standard. I really like the standard mini's and have noticed they have now become pretty rare so not planning on changing this one! A full respray in standard colour will be completed - am i right in thinking this is Pageant Blue??

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers People!

Dave

Edited by davos1983, 04 December 2007 - 06:20 PM.

#2 davos1983

davos1983

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

Hmmm anyone know why i cant see the pictures ive uploaded in this post?? does the forum not like photobucket pics?

#3 davos1983

davos1983

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

Hmmm anyone know why i cant see the pictures ive uploaded in this post?? does the forum not like photobucket pics?

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

just copy and paist the IMG code from your pictures

#5 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

you have used the HTML code.

you need to use the IMG code :withstupid:

#6 davos1983

davos1983

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

Wicked cheers for that tip! All sorted now - pics are working!

Let me know what you think...

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

good work :withstupid:

#8 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

Hi..!..Davos I see you are doing a good job of rust worm control , and are you going to put on new wings and front panel..keep up good work................... :withstupid:

#9 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

looking good.

i want an estate :withstupid:

#10 davos1983

davos1983

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

Hi..!..Davos I see you are doing a good job of rust worm control , and are you going to put on new wings and front panel..keep up good work................... :withstupid:

Yup the passenger side wing needs replacing - front panel and drivers wing are good so leaving them be. Trouble is finding the time these days!

#11 clubby

clubby

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Local Club: BrEt

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

aaa u need much time and also vitamin "M" for fix it ~! aaa utmost afford must spend to your clubby

p/s : many spacing u have at bonet... can put 4spare tyres.. hehe

#12 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

Good going, really feeling guilty about not having touched mine for ages now. Same model, same colour, more rust! :shifty:

#13 davos1983

davos1983

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

Good going, really feeling guilty about not having touched mine for ages now. Same model, same colour, more rust! :shifty:

Indeed i'm quite chuffed, did a bit more this weekend - need to take some pics of it. Got any pictures of your mini and more importantly, was it as cheap as mine?!

#14 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

did this one 4 years ago for an old lady, bare metal rust cut out and rebuild..................
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
.............. :D

Edited by mk1leg, 17 December 2007 - 11:07 PM.

#15 davos1983

davos1983

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:33 AM

Wow im loving that resto - looks proper old school! Essentially aim is for this one to look the same (but in blue with the silver stripes). Think its had some work at some point as the proper stripes are missing - instead being replaced with a silver line and "Special" identification. Seems a bit rubbish to me and will definately be going back to the originals.

On that note, first of the rear valence panels arrived recently, so can start rebuilding the back end up. Also need to acquire a new fuel tank as the old one is terrible!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users