32 replies to this topic

#31 rcbamm

rcbamm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:57 PM

awesome! nice work! check out my CE thread. I am cutting away pretty much the same as you did. Now I am just waiting to earn some money to buy my Christmas list of panels :lol:

Indeed i was chuffed with the progress. Actually just picked up 3 x 5kg spools of welding wire so can finish it off - am planning on a welding session on Sunday so there will be more progress to follow...

Had a butchers at your thread earlier, yours looks even rustier than mine which i thought was impossible! Always good to see a similar project though so will keep an eye on it.

Money is an issue with pretty much all projects - mine seems to be having the time to do it and space is an issue here hence why im only working on one side at a time - once the drivers side is done i shall be shifting it out of the garage and turning it so i can do the other side. Not looking forward to that job!

Yeah mine is a bit rusty... once I got done with my latest progress my Dad was looking at me like im nutts haha... As long as I can get new panels I am fine with doing it. Minimania has almost every single panel I need here in the US :)

#32 Exhuman

Exhuman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local Club: Mini club

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

Can you help me explaining how to cut away the floor panels. Im afraid that the roof turns in to week to hold the car in shape, not that it breaks through half?
I am working on my estate right now. Drivers side front and rear floor needs to be replaced.
If you can help me... please mail me.

[email protected]

Kind regards Jörgen from holland

#33 davos1983

davos1983

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

Can you help me explaining how to cut away the floor panels. Im afraid that the roof turns in to week to hold the car in shape, not that it breaks through half?
I am working on my estate right now. Drivers side front and rear floor needs to be replaced.
If you can help me... please mail me.

[email protected]

Kind regards Jörgen from holland

Sounds like yours is similar to mine - as you will see it had to all come out and put 1 panel back in.

The way i did it was to measure the shell up before i cut anything so i had a reference as to how anything lined up. I then cut the door step away from the floor and then measured up for fitting the new step by laying it over the car. After cutting the old off i then welded this in which gave a reference point for the side of the car and also checked how the door fitted to check i was still square.

After this i started to cut the floor out bit by bit - admitted i probably could've braced it with steel across the car, however constant checking of the dimensions ensured i was spot on with it. Also once id replaced the extension and heel board area, this gave extra strength to the rear of the car. Seeing as the boot area and dash rail/foot board were still in place, this gave enough strength across the car and the door step, roof and exhaust tunnel gave strenth along the length of the car. Therefore it is not just the roof that gave the car its strength.

This worked fine for me and is how i shall be doing the passenger side!

hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users