20 replies to this topic

#1 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:31 AM

ive seen a welded diff for a mini on ebay quoted for mini hillclimbs/sprints/race etc.

I know the benifit of a LSD, but would you consider this a good idea for a mini, if done well? or would a turbo engine mash sonething else in turn...

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:15 AM

Absoluely not if you intend on using this on the road... This is serious competition use only... Locked diff's should only be used on loose / low traction surfaces, talk to anyone which owns a landrover. Using a locked diff on the road will ruin your tyres and eventually your diff and gearbox.

#3 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:51 AM

I compete in hillclimbs with a guy who drives a Renault 5 Turbo. He used a lockes/welded diff and considering he was on slicks it went supprisingly well.

as said though, useless for the road.

Wil

#4 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

would a LSD still be suitable for the road. and considering its price, worthwhile?

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

For road use your best bet would be a X-Pin Diff... an LSD is overkill IMO

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

I think LSD on on a street car is a matter of what you're willing to put up with. My Triumph had an LSD in it when I started working on it. The plates were not adjusted properly and I couldn't find anyone who knew how to set them. The car would bang and pop going around turns. Sometimes it felt like someone had slapped the back of the car when the plates would break free. I hated it. I put in a rebuilt "stock" differential and haven't looked back. Why do you feel you need a LSD on the street?

#7 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:03 PM

they seem so expensive, i was intersted to see what people thought about them.. didnt know if there was some amasing improvement i was missing out on.

A X-Pin is alot cheaper, ive seen the tranx one for £140 i think.anyone used the tranx one before?

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:17 PM

I think thats the one I'm using at the moment, apparently I was wearing through the competition single pin pretty quick!! To be honest though I haven't noticed any difference in the way the car handles or feels, I guess its just harder wearing and can take the torque better.

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:23 PM

Exactly right. The X-pin is there for increased load carrying area, and therefore, longer life under high-loads. It functions the same as a "regular" differential.

#10 MiniMoi

MiniMoi

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:30 PM

The locked dif will put a lot of stress on the dif and the gearbox when used on the road. So it's a no no for the road.

An LSD differential however really overkill for road or even fast road use is the way to go if you are into rallying or serious competition sports. The problem with a LSD on a road car is, is that the front suspesion needs to be set a 100% perfect, because if one wheel is even a bit out it will react different than the correct one. Which makes the dif think it is going to wrong way so it will start to interact even when it is not neccesary. And since most road Mini's don't have fully adjustable suspension it is pretty much worthless and can even make it an more shittier ride than before.

However LSD on a non steering wheels is a lot easier on the car. When you put an LSD dif on any car with FWD you will feel it a lot more than on a RWD. Just because of the feel.

That is what I have heard and what makes pretty much sence. When I first talked to a "mini expert" in Holland about them, he was like they are worthless pieces of well you know. But than again he thinks anything tuned on a Mini is bad and that you guys like me shouldn't drive them since we drive too fast.

MiniMoi

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:29 PM

I have a Tran-X Cross pin diff and the reduction in torque steer was very noticable. Must admit, I would not consider building a gearbox for a performance engine without one now.

#12 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:50 PM

How can fitting a twin pin diff reduce torque steer ???

Curious .....

Phil. :grin:

#13 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

That may just have been a result of the difference between a worn single pin diff and a brand new x-pin, but I do find the power delivery to the wheels is more even and controlled, probably something to do with having 4 planet gears holding the drives in place rather than 2

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:01 AM

Yea, I wouldn't of thought you would get reduction in torque steer as you aren't altering the length of the drive shafts in any way. But I can see your point about the four planetary gears instead of two.

#15 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

didnt bother reading all the replys!!

basicaly it wont go round corners :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users