38 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Clubman

Mr Clubman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

I have decided to renew my Radiator on the clubby as its starting to look very sick. poor thing. I have looked at varous sites and am considering which one to put in its place.
I drive the car regularly and it has an MG metro engine in so what would be the most practical choice, 4-core 3 core or two core.........Im tempted to go 4 core due to practicality for daily driver........what you guys reckon....does it make any difference in normal conditions?

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:38 AM

I would say one of MiniSpares 2 core should be fine. It states on there website that the 4 core are more easily damaged compared to the 2 core.

#3 Mr Clubman

Mr Clubman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:45 AM

agh confused now.....is it a straight swap with the standard one?
what difference does it actually make then?

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:04 PM

Should just be a straight swap, although I'm not sure with the MG engine. The MiniSpares radiator is designed differently to the standard one and so is just more efficient at cooling. I'll be fitting a new 2 core MiniSpares rad to my 1425 soon.

Or for something a bit different, MiniSpares do a very shiny alloy rad for £180!!!

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

my mini is a rover cooper 1275 with standard rad and twin fans ,i have never had any problems with over heating even in the summer in trafic so try a standard rad and save some money .

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

Hmm, a lot of people say you need an uprated rad for a MG engine.

#7 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:37 PM

I would go for the two core. It is a very sensible upgrade and well worth the money, as to be honest the standard three core one is only just up to the job of cooling a standard engine, providing it is in good condition.

The two core one is a straight swap, and is slightly thinner than the standard rad too. You will need to keep the original fan cowling and re-use it with the new rad, which will come with the fixing bolts to attach it (as the threads are different, old ones are imperial, new ones are metric).
The top bracket radiator support is held by captive threads in the cowling, as is the bottom support on the engine mounting so you don't need to worry about that.

You will notice an improvement in temperature, my Clubby with modded 1275 never went past the middle of the gauge even in traffic on hot summers days last year. Its also a good idea to fit new hoses at the same time just as a precuation while you have the rad out. I would estimate no more than a half hour job on a clubby, as you can get to the bottom bolt a lot easier!

Minispares are probably the best supplier to get them from, mine arrived next day, very well packaged, and has performed faultlessly since then.

Tom

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:38 PM

never had a problem but i think the twin fans help

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:46 PM

On a similar note, I want to look at replacing all the rubber hoses in my car for something else, something that won't degrade as quick. Maybe silicon hoses, does anyone know of a different material hose for things like rad hoses, and water hoses?

#10 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:50 PM

yes you can get Kevlar/rubber composite hoses from Minispares. I have/had/will have again a silicon top hose and a kevlar bottom hose on my Clubby. They are very good but a bit stiffer than normal rubber, so if you want to try to fit them its a good idea to take your rad out and get the bottom hose on and secured and then fit it to the water pump in the car, where you can actually reach with your hands!

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:25 PM

Hmm, may have to look into getting them soon then.

#12 joe90gt

joe90gt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:39 PM

why not convert to a front rad while your about it, if you can find a later scrap metro with all the hoses, heater valve, and rad/fan intact you only need to get a couple of extra bits , bendy universal hose and the thermostat housing depending on which head you have, my GT has a metro engine anyway so that was all in place, total cost for me was approx £40 with s/h bits. Benefits are quieter engine because no fan turning, more space on nearside (but less at front), better cooling, my fan only cuts in in heavy traffic, and more power available as the fan isn't robbing it all the time, let me know if you want more detail

#13 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

Not enough room in the engine bay to fit a front rad unless you have a twin point, where the alternator, dizzy and oil filter are moved to accomodate. or you chop out the front valance ! :rolleyes:

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

No joy for me, my oil cooler is at the front!!

#15 Mr Clubman

Mr Clubman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:17 PM

hmmm....will go for the 2 core then! it says on Mini spares that they are prone to fin blockages and not recomended for off-road use.......2 core better than an upgraded 4-core then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users