Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:21 PM

hey guys
my new engine spec is now decided, and well on its way to being built :rolleyes:
after a chat with simon at morspeed on friday, ive decided to go with teh mspd trackday cam, and a billet steel flywheel.

my final engine spec is as follows:

1380 turbo block with steel centre main strap
73.5mm powermax pistons
cooper s AEG 251 steel rods
wedged reground early turbo crank (which im told is steel as opposed to cast???)
stage 3 unleaded head with 35.7/30 valves
MSPD trackday cam
minispares 1.5:1 roller tip rockers
duplex vernier timing gears
HIF44 on mg inlet
lcb with maniflow 1 7/8ths twin box system
ultra light steel billet flywheel and backplate
orange diaphram, rally clutch plate
tranX 1:1 straight cut drop gears
brand new (not rebuilt) std gearbox (never been driven from new) with centre oil pick up,
tranX 4 pin diff with 3.44 fd.
the short engine will be balanced
i think thats about it, apart from litle things like turbo oil pump and 2 core hi flow rad.

no idea what power figures thats likely to produce, other than to say im currently getting 79bhp (flywheel) from my knackered 1275 with the stage 3 head on. so as long as its a significant increase on that im happy :lol:

i was wanting opinions from people who ahve a similar set up on how it performs, what will be its strengths and weaknesses, and how does it fair being driven on the road?
its not going to be an everyday car by the time the engine goes in, as ill ahve finished college and be off to uni, so its going to be more of a weekend car for a year or so, until i take it to uni in my 2nd year.

what are people opinions on the trackday cam?
from what simon told me its similar to a 286, but more modern and refined, with less emmision problems.

what sort of bhp figures should i expect for this spec? both at the wheels and the flywheel?

any comments or suggestions would be great, bearing in mind i cant change teh spec too much, as im on a VERY tight budget and have sourced several parts 2nd hand, and several have been taken off a sprint car im upgrading such as the gearbox/diff/drop gears.

thanks in advance

nick

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:11 PM

unless youre getting a sc box I dont think sc drop gears are going to add anything much but noise. but on the whole, sounds one hell of a setup..

So you'll be out for an orange sticker in the window aswell, to replace the arm and leg that's just set you back :cheese:

#3 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:31 PM

hahahaha
your not far off :rolleyes:
ive only really got 1 big problem.....

the crank/rods!

i bought the engine having spun a shell, as a result the rod is damaged, and so is the crank....

the crank can probably be sorted with a 10/10 regrind, but the rod would be scrap....
my other option, is to get the rods machined out to A+ journal size, which is 1.75'' instead of the 1.625 s size.
would it be possible to machine the S rods out to A+ journal size? and run then on an A+ crank?
my other option....
i have what im told is a full S engine in the shed, which i could strip down to see if it has a servicable crank, although the chances of that are slim i fear....

the other option is to just run an A+ cast crank and A+ rods....
but considering ive got 2 steel cranks and a set of rods id rather make the best of what ive got.
ah well
i guess ill have to strip down the other s engine and see whats inside!

#4 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:35 PM

just to add to that....
ive been told that helical drops loose a fair load of power compared to straight cuts, but a helical gear set doesnt loose much in comparison to straight cuts....

is this true? as thats the main reason im running sc drops, plus i have a set that wont otherwise be used at all....

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:15 AM

If you have 1.625 journal cranks then keep them, and with the rods, argh! don't get the journals taken out, the coopers S con rods are getting hard to find and a blooming expensive, you may get one to replace the scrap one,, if not sell them individually, cause if there's someone out there who needs one ( like you ) they may pay handsomely...

The easiest thing to do would be to use the larger journaled crank ( 1.75 ) with GT rods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users