#1 d4v1dtyler

d4v1dtyler

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: CCMA

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

I have taken the top part of the manifold off to remove the lambda sensor. Upon doing so i have found that the previous owner must have had a go at doing it sometime and they have rounded it off. Where do i go from here? Will the cheapest option be to try and get hold of a second hand manifold?

cheers dave

#2 elvisthepizzaman

elvisthepizzaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

take the manifold off completely and try it on a bench with a good vice or take it the manifold to a shop and have them get it off for you and have them put the new one in while its there with some good copper grease

Edited by elvisthepizzaman, 29 December 2007 - 05:28 PM.

#3 d4v1dtyler

d4v1dtyler

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: CCMA

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

take the manifold off completely and try it on a bench with a good vice or take it the manifold to a shop and have them get it off for you and have them put the new one in while its there with some good copper grease

Yea, i mean i hav all the tools and stuff that ill need here, its purely down to the fact the lambda sensor is totally rounded off. I dont know if the best step is to grind it of and drill + tap it?

#4 elvisthepizzaman

elvisthepizzaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

Yea, i mean i hav all the tools and stuff that ill need here, its purely down to the fact the lambda sensor is totally rounded off. I dont know if the best step is to grind it of and drill + tap it?

take the manifold off and ill bet if you grind the sensor off flush with the top of the nut and then grab a welder you could weld another nut onto the top of the sensor and then try getting it out. The heat from welding should be sufficient to free up the corrosion.

#5 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

if that fails i have a spare manifold off my mpi cooper, with the lambda sensor already removed. a tip for putting the new sensor in, is to slap plenty of copper grease on the threads, makes life so much easier next time you have to remove it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users