11 replies to this topic

#1 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:22 AM

Hello!!! :P ok... the exhaust is blowing slightly at the manifold we can tell this because we get double vission when we go out in it.. HEHE only kiden nare u can smell it in the car though. also when i did the tappets (with gessworks) there was loads of mayo in the rocker cover and before i put the sparkley one on it the old one was full too this was mid summer so i dout it is the moisture in the air. sooo...... what should i do? i know that if i do the head gasket then the exhaust wont blow because thatle have a new gasket to.... BUT! i dont have a clue what to do...

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:30 AM

Haynes manual describes it pretty well even though I tend to just do it my way :P

Make sure you got an afternoon, with no rushes or anything, a set of sockets (imperial, but I've changed many times with metric sets without rounding anything off, even the head nuts..), make SURE to get a torque wrench, some fine sand paper, wire brush (hopefully on a drill).

What you want to do when you take the head off is scrape any remains of gasket off the block and head, you can sand it a bit although this may not be recommended by experts it helped my current gasket survive a lot longer than the last one. Then using a flat metal rule, using the edge check if the head is straight and flat, if not itll need machining at an engineering shop (20 quid or less) to skim a bit of metal.

Also if you can be bothered, you can remove all the head to manifold studs from the head, and use bolts instead (which you'd have to buy) as this makes head and manifold changing a lot easier and quicker..

If you have any queries, post them up!

#3 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:41 AM

you can get bolts to do the same job? cool, where can you get em from (i take it they need to be the right tensile strength with the right stretch characteristics etc so not just any old bolts of the right size will do?)?

Also. wont using sandpaper on the head+block face risk getting grit into the engine?

#4 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

ok kool, its not advisable to drive it til lthe head gasket blows and we would be stranded some where, so should i do it over this half term? i knwo my freinds dad can do them i could speak to him...

#5 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:36 PM

i'm very interested in replacing my studs for bolts!! i will be changing the head/gasket on mine in the next few weeks. Where do you get the bolts from? minispares isn't coming up with anything!!

sorry to hijack ur post miniman5!!

Rich

#6 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:03 PM

no problem mate! wana come and help me do mine?

#7 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:45 PM

i used to do this on a regular basis lol. the weirdest place was at the showdown last year with a stinking hangover....so it can't be that bad a job. it just takes longer than you plan, so allow lots of time, oh and don't panic when you take the head off....i know it looks scary but it's nothing to worry about :P) i think the main points are:
MAke sure you have a torque wrench
Give yourself plenty of time to get the head and block reall REALLY clean.
put a newspaper or big piece of card underneathe the car, as bolts and nuts WILL fall down the back of the engine and are a bugger to find on tarmac, the paper/card makes them easier to spot....good luck and don't panic

#8 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:36 PM

If i get the new awaiting head in the next few days, and i get it on no problems i will come n help! but it is my first attempt also, so want to practice on my own just in case!

Still waitin on morspeed, i ordered it end of January! but it should be worth waiting for!!

Rich

#9 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:34 PM

hi miniman 5
if you dont have the head off often, while you have the head off, if possible i would have the valve seats reground. if they are bad, it seriously affects performance and fuel consumption. also dont forget to change the mayo for oil!

#10 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:02 PM

Hello being 15 i havent had the head of any thing bigger than a 125 2 stroke.. lol i was plannign to grind the valves in skim the head get new valve guides and oil seals! itle be the dogs do day when its done!

#11 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

last time i got the head off in an hour, but its not always that easy. putting it back together takes a fair bit longer, because of all the setting up. if your car has a bypass hose, put a decent one of these on when you do the head. they're a nightmare when they go!

#12 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:51 AM

well id rather some one show me, but imnot sure im up for doing it, just dont want to wreck it! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users