5 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:23 PM

In the last couple of days my mini has developed a rather concerning electrical problem.

Going to start my car a few days ago, i pressed the immobiliser button and all of the indicator lights flashed as normal. Turned the key in the ignittion and it started and then died - night lights or power the imobillisor light on the dash was dead aswell. Waited a few minutes and tried it again it started but i has to put my foot on accellorator to get it to start.

Happened again last night as i went to put it in the garage.

Any ideas ? Could it be a battery problem ?

#2 JamesM

JamesM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

Battery is the best place to start, pull it out and put it on charge for a while and see if it sorts it out.

I would have thought if nothing electrical worked then if must be the cause of the problem, although if it drains again you will have to look deeper as to what is draining it.

#3 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:50 PM

have a quick look at teh battery leads too, makesure they are secure and not loose, many starting problems come from loose battery leads..

#4 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:09 AM

It happend to me also,
but finally I found that wire from ignition switch to solonoid was in bad shape
after i replace the wire problem was solved.

ps-if it happend to you again, as a recovery methed u can carefully connect starter moter terminal and solonoid terminal with a temporery wire or a spanner (with ignition on) this will start the engine

-ima

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:19 AM

Daniel, neglected to mention that this is a late model MPI therefore there's a lot more going on when starting a car, and if the sensors are faulty in anyway then the engine management system will not let you start the car.

Check the battery first, but after than you need to get someone to plug into the EMU to find out what is realy going on.

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, as Guessworks says you cannot in any way jump the starter solenoid on a twin-point. Well, you can and the starter will turn the engine but unless the engine ECU gets permission from the alarm ECU it won't inject any fuel or make any sparks and the car won't start.

Check your engine earth is healthy as this sounds like you are drawing your engine current through the throttle cable!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users