Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Local Club: On the search!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

Hello all,
I just bought a new K&N air filter kit including the cold air duct.
I have fitted it, and what a pain to do so without bolts to hold it down!
Has anyone fitted one of these and is the jubilee clip strong enough to keep it on the injector assymbly? Seems a bit of a bodge job for my likings!
Also, it stated that I must put a screw in the red pipe that comes from the standard filter box and leave it to one side, what does this red pipe do? Is it ok to leave off? I have noticed it does not idle how it used to with the old filter on, it stays at around 1050 revs, where as before it would be around 800. Is this normal, or does this have something to do with the red pipe?

Many thanks

#2 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

The clip is definatly strong enough to hold it on, just make sure you've done the screw nice and tight. Don't worry, it won't just fall off!

Not sure about the red pipe, mine doesn't have one but then again mine is MPi.

Have you adjusted where your throttle cable rests, it could be why it is idling higher than before. Also was the engine warm when it idled at 800rpm? Did you test it when the engine was cold or warm? (i.e. when it idled at 1050rpm).

#3 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

When the engine was cold, would idle about 1500 revs, then when hot about 800. I just gave my car a good run around for 30 mins and still idles at about 1050 revs.
There is a big difference in noise too, only when above 4000+ revs you can only hear it, good stuff!!!

Edited by Bevan, 02 January 2008 - 07:17 PM.

#4 lil dan

lil dan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

the red pipe might be from the rocker cover. if so its a breather pipe that releses pressure at the top of the engine. blocking it shouldn't have a effect on the idle but might be an idea to get a small breather fillter for it.

again i'm not sure as i have an mpi

#5 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

When the engine was cold, would idle about 1500 revs

That's too high, before or after fitting the K&N. Try taking off the throttle cable clip and twisting it anti-clockwise. It should be far enough along so that it does not tug on the throttle cable once reseated, but it shouldn't be so far that the cable doesn't have any tension in it.

#6 bubblebuster

bubblebuster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

When the engine was cold, would idle about 1500 revs

That's too high, before or after fitting the K&N. Try taking off the throttle cable clip and twisting it anti-clockwise. It should be far enough along so that it does not tug on the throttle cable once reseated, but it shouldn't be so far that the cable doesn't have any tension in it.

The red platic pipe needs to be plugged , dont adjust the throttle cable you will alter the lost motion, did you fit the air temp transmitter into the k&n also?

#7 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

the cable recently got adjusted at a garage and it never changed the way the engine acted. Throttle cable is clear of everything, the red pipe goes over a little black box burried in the middle of the injector, its just a metal stick type thing that the red pipe gove over and then into the origonal airbox.
I think it only idles that high because I get up in sub zero conditions for work, pretty sure its warms up ok.

#8 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:38 PM

yeh the green sensor that is stupidly close to the center where the jubilee clip goes around.

#9 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

Some pics I just took, I have moved the red pipe into a easier place to see.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 lil dan

lil dan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

red pipe not the breather i was thinking about. might be a throtle body vac hose. have you tryed running the engine and bloking the pipe with your finger?

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:35 AM

The red pipe needs to have the free end plugged with the screw provided in the kit. The other end connects to the back of the manifold. If this pipe has become dislodged, this will be the reason for high idle. Alternatively you could just block off the connection on the back of the manifold. Be well worth your time to ensure that all the other vacuum pipes are connected and the ends in good condition.

Do not under any circumstance screw up tight, the jubilee clip, this will cause the filter to pop off when the engine is up to temperature. The trick is to ensure the flange on the injector housing if free of oil, as well as the inner edge of the rubber mounting of the filter itself. with the jubilee clip loose, fit the filter onto the injector housing, ensuring that it is seated properly. Tighten the jubilee clip ensuring that it sits just above the small lip on the bottom edge of the filter, end is even all the way round. Do not over tighten this, only enough to prevent the filter moving. I would recomend doing this when the filter rubber and the engine has been warmed up. This softens the rubber and you will get the filter to grip as it should.

Yes indeed its not exactly the best method of fitting a filter, but there you go, what can you do. A Mighty Mini racer trick is to use a piece of expanded foam stuck to the bonnet just above the filter to help prevent it poping off when the bonnet is closed.

#12 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:08 AM

The red pipe came out by accident while I was trying to put the screw in it, im not 100% sure if I put it back in the correct place, looked like a metal pin, maybe tempreture sensitive? Does it matter if the whole red pipe is taken away?
Are my vacume pipes the black tubes connected to the brether pipe and oil seperators?

#13 MiniFrank

MiniFrank

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

I also have an SPI and recieved a K&N filter for christmas. Followed the intructions word for word and have had no problems. For the jubilee clip it says tighten until you just can't turn the filter, then tighten a further 360degrees...NO FURTHER (they use capitals in the instructions too :huh: )

As for the red pipe, again follow the instructions word for word. It needs to be there, just blocked off. I guess you could remove it if you blocked it off at the point where it connects, but if I remember correctly (if) then this is more of a hassle than leaving the red pipe in there...I could be wrong though :D

Edited by MiniFrank, 03 January 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#14 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

Have just been poking around at some tubes comming from the breather, they all seem fine, i noticed that my stepper motor is acting unusual tho, when it idels, the pin pokes out and in sometimes causing it to rev up and down very very silightly. Is it tricky to dismantle to stepper motor? Looks quite simple from what I see, 4 screws and a bit of tug-o-war.

#15 Bevan

Bevan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:35 PM

Still got problems with idle.
I have been swapping my air filters over and this is the difference.

Standard SPI air filter
Posted Image

K&N air filter
Posted Image

Im really stuck with what to do!
[EDIT] This is when the car is fully warmed up too

Edited by Bevan, 04 January 2008 - 03:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users