Photo
- - - - -

building something slightly different.....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:50 PM

hey guys
after much reading around, and a long call to simon at morspeed, ive decided to go for a 1420.....

speaking to simon, its not posible to stroke an A+ crank to 84.3mm, but it is possible to stroke it to 83.5mm, which would give me 1420. he also says that my damaged s rods is fixable.

i need a new crank anyway, so i was only going to have an a+ crank reground and wedged, but for an extra £50 over a std regrind i can have ti stroked to 83.5mm.
so
1420cc here we come :cry:
still going to be running my stg 3 head and a trackday cam.
hoping this should give me a bit more torque, and still a nice healthy bhp figure.

are there any other 1420s around? ive seen a few 1425s (jammy basturds) but never a 1420....

im doing it mainly because i like teh idea of a something torquey with good power throughout the range....
and because im spending an absoute fortune on the engine build anyway, and its only an extra £50 to ahve the crank stroked, plus possibly having the pistons decked a fraction....
we will see :cry::cry::P

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:54 PM

Never heard of a 1420, I was told its possible to bore it out to 1380 or 1400 (can't remember which one), and then you have smaller bearings and different rods which gives you the longer stroke for 1425. Although I maybe wrong with this. If you are going for the longer stroke then expect it to be quite quite lumpy at tickover as well as being a bit of a pig to drive around town (although some of this maybe down to the characteristics of the cam I have), but on accelerating, I have the 1.75 RC40, my car sounds like its ripping through the air, it really is a raw exhaust noise, sounds like a proper rally car. You're gonna love it!!

#3 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:10 PM

cheers for that :P
1425 is achieved by boring the block out to 73.5mm, and stroking the crank to 84.3mm, which gives 1425, because i dont have an old gt crank, and only an A+ crank, it can only be stroked to 83.5mm, hence the reason for getting 1420cc instead of 1425 :cry:
what cam do you have on yours? and how high does it tend to rev? sensibly that is

also what carb/s are u running?
ive currently got a single HIF44, but if needs be i might hae a search around for a set of 1 1/2s instead!

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:20 PM

I have a custom profile cam from Bill Richards, the reline is about 7500, I've been told I can quite safely go upto 6k, but usually shift around 4, on the rare occasion going upto 5.5k if I'm in a hurry!!

I did have a 45 DCOE webber on there, which gave me loads of pull!! and really gave me the nicest iduction roar, but I've swapped it over at the mo for a single HIFF44 to give me better fuel economy. It has taken the edge off the performance, but to be honest its still more than powerful enough. You should be fine with the single HIFF44.

#5 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:33 PM

a couple of guys in our club have 1430's! one was purchased from honeycrock racing with a stage 5 head and the other was in the car when they bought it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users