tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC / Kentish

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

Morning Guys

with a baby on the way and still desperate to keep my enthusiasms for minis, ROsie and I have bought an 1998 R reg MPi cooper.

I've never driven one before, and only looked under the bonnet of a few.

What problems am I likely to encounter and what should I be looking out for?

Cheers

Tom

#2 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

Excellent Tom! :huh:

Main problems with an MPi...um...same problems as a normal Mini I guess. Can't think of anything in particular that you need to watch out for that you don't on a normal Mini.

Onlt things that have ever gone wrong on mine are the water pump (pretty cheap and easy to replace) and some dirt getting stuck in the throttle butterfly valve (I had been playing with the air filter the night before because I was bored). If you hit a pot hole and the engine cuts out, just press the big black button in the top right corner of the engine bay.

Have fun pulling over for broken down Minis! :D

#3 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

Ball joints get munched quickly if your running big wheels, change yearly, a couple of mine went in 8 months!

If the gearbox hasnt been reconned the MPi gearbox is renowned for crunching in 2nd gear!

Apart from them i had no major problems, car was ultra reliable. Be prepared to dig deep if anything goes wrong though, as im sure your aware the parts cost a fair whack :D

#4 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

Whether to choose either the "Soothing Scirocco" or "Howling Tornado" settings on your 2 speed heater. :D

#5 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC / Kentish

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:45 PM

Whether to choose either the "Soothing Scirocco" or "Howling Tornado" settings on your 2 speed heater. :D

I must say, i'm REALLY looking forward to getting it for a number of reasons:

1 - the baby's on the way
2 - finally a reliable car
3 - intermittent wipers
4 - 2 speed heater :huh:

see pic... it's this one... plate is included :withstupid:

Attached Files

• Attached File  mpi1.gif   387.39K   38 downloads

#6 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

If the gearbox hasnt been reconned the MPi gearbox is renowned for crunching in 2nd gear!

Mine crunches in second gear, but only if I'm not careful with the gear change. Doesn't tend to happen now if I get the speed and revs just right.

#7 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

Mine crunches in second gear, but only if I'm not careful with the gear change. Doesn't tend to happen now if I get the speed and revs just right.

Very annoying, cant drive as aggressive and when you downshift it is impossible to avoid. It will only get worse as the synchro dies, id get it sorted before it gets any worse. S'pose its how you drive n'all, put it this way, i used to make the most of each gear! If you drive conservatively im sure it can be put up with.. still highly annoying though, and expensive to fix.

#8 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Very annoying, cant drive as aggressive and when you downshift it is impossible to avoid. It will only get worse as the synchro dies, id get it sorted before it gets any worse. S'pose its how you drive n'all, put it this way, i used to make the most of each gear! If you drive conservatively im sure it can be put up with.. still highly annoying though, and expensive to fix.

It only ever happens on downshift, even then it's still very rare. You just have to take your time with it and treat it like your mother.

#9 mini_lover

mini_lover

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

How do you fix this?

#10 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

How do you fix this?

You buy one of these...

http://www.minisport...rd_Helical.html

#11 mini_lover

mini_lover

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:51 PM

How do you fix this?

You buy one of these...

http://www.minisport...rd_Helical.html

Whats that and what does it do? :huh: :D

#12 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

Those are the gears. I don't think you can buy just second gear on it's own.

#13 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

It only ever happens on downshift, even then it's still very rare. You just have to take your time with it and treat it like your mother.

Who wants to treat a cooper s like your mother?! lol

Put it this way dude, you will need it sorting eventually and like i said depends how aggresive you are when you downshift and by that i mean at what speed you are doing when you enter 2nd. I just found it dead annoying, and wasnt able to make the most of the engine with the problem.

@ minilover - I got a remanafactured box, which i was recomended, that way whoever you choose to sort it, can completely take apart your box and replace anything else that is worn while they are in the heart of the box. Speak to guessworks.

#14 mini_lover

mini_lover

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

Those are the gears. I don't think you can buy just second gear on it's own.

Ah I thought they were some kind of special gears...something im prob never going to attempt, but.. am I to assume this is very hard to do? :D

#15 mini_lover

mini_lover

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

Who wants to treat a cooper s like your mother?! lol

Put it this way dude, you will need it sorting eventually and like i said depends how aggresive you are when you downshift and by that i mean at what speed you are doing when you enter 2nd. I just found it dead annoying, and wasnt able to make the most of the engine with the problem.

@ minilover - I got a remanafactured box, which i was recomended, that way whoever you choose to sort it, can completely take apart your box and replace anything else that is worn while they are in the heart of the box. Speak to guessworks.

Oo, thanks for reply :huh: I asked him about it earlier :withstupid: Am I correct to assume its a big job? Its only just started doing it this month and only like twice... so just wondering really... its a bit of a pain when its my daily drive... :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users