12 replies to this topic

#1 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:01 PM

Right ive done the most dum thing ever I bought a set of alloys and was told that they where for a mini, I took the persons word for this big mistake!!! and fitted them a few days ago went to take them off today and the back ones are stuck on over the hub which is when I reliesed there the metro ones which need spacers. :P

So this is my BIG problem how the **** do I get the wheels off the hubs

#2 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:04 PM

fbh

#3 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:20 PM

1, how easy did the wheels go on

2, with then being alloys you have to be carefull when trying to get them off, a good rubber or plastic face mallet will be needed if it is just squessed onto the hub just a little.

procedure

1, put something ender the front wheels, like a block of wood, 1 at the front and 1 at teh back of the wheel, this will stop it moving when you jack it up.

2, jack up the rear of the car and place it on axle stands.

3, with your hammer tap gently on the tyre, turning it 90 deg after each tap, this will get the wheel of square.

4, add a spacer and then put the wheel back on.lol

hope this helps

#4 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:30 PM

right the wheel went on fairly easy and I didn't tighten it right up as it was only sitting in my garage and I knew I would be taking them back off in a few days, so I think its only a few mm over the hub. What I ment is when I tried giving it a pull it nearly falls of the jack.

#5 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:41 PM

thats what the axle stands are for, to support the car while working , NEVER WORK ON ESPECALLY UNDER THE CAR WITHOUT THEM WHEN TAKING A WHEEL OFF

#6 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:02 PM

right once Ive got them of will 3mm spacers be enough to stop this happening again?

#7 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

could be tricky..... how about a crow bar and put soem wood on the wheel and pry against that

#8 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:51 AM

rite spent 20min whacking the wheel with a big hammer and some wood, bt wasn't doing anything so I thought of a new approach which worked. I used the hammer handle as my leaver and put it in between the back of the wheel and brake drum I used the brake drum as leverage and it poped off.
I thought it was the inside off the wheel where it has a inbuilt spacer on the back for greater offset had been pushed over the drum spacer but when I looked they are both flat so it can't have been this. So what might have caused this because I don't want it happening againg.

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:44 AM

I'm not sure ther even metro ones, Check the PCD is not 4x4" and not 4x100 at the symptoms you are describing matches exatch the problems you get when using the wrong PCD, ( it's only 1.6mm out but that makes a hell of a difference )

Old Metro wheels ( pre face lift ) are 1x101.6 mm (4x4"), Im not sure about the more modern K series powered metros but I suspect the are the more modern 4x100.

#10 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:22 PM

but the front fit fine and come of easily.

#11 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:38 PM

right ive measured the stud hole on my factory alloys and new ones and they have the same PCD, however I have noticed that the holes are smaller been about 1cm in diameter rather than the factory alloys 2cm do u think this could be causing a problem. Ive also noticed some of the studs look slightly bent but I can't really tell by eye. Ill have to fined some calippers or stick a straicht edge against them.
should i be looking at some extended studs if I have to change them as the new alloys have a spacer built into the back of them?

#12 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:15 PM

got them off but still puzzled to why it happened any ideas?

#13 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:16 PM

try them on the front, if they fit and come off ok then the studs on the back could be out of line. also try the front ones on the back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users