6 replies to this topic

#1 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:11 AM

My engine is a 1989 metro one, and the only way to set the ignition timing is to advance or retard the distributor (I think).

but i have been not able to get the right timing for my mini yet.(I can hear the knock)

I tried a lot advancing and retarding distributor.

Do u guys know a better way to do this?

-ima

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:21 AM

Get the correct timing figures, get a timing strobe and set the timing properly. There's no point just guessing. :P

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:25 AM

As Phil says, or get an automotive multimeter and do it by dwell angle.

You are right that you need to rotate the distributor body but you need to do it in the right way and to the correct setting. Guessing will take you forever, the figure in the book takes into account the distributors advance curve and the engine and fuel characteristics. And of course you need to have a distibutor which is properly setup for your engine.

#4 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:51 PM

can you give us some background as to why you need to adjust the engine timing..

what type of distributer do you have fitted, does it have contact breaker points or is it electronic ignition?

have you done anything to the car

i can tell from your post that you have moved the distributor or i think you have, so you will need a haynes manual for your metro engine, so you know what the ignition timing should be and where the timing marks are on the engine.

timing marks are normally on the block by the bottom pulley, with a grove on the bottom pulley to line up so you know when it is timmed..

hope this helps

#5 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:54 AM

The reasons to change the ignition timing is,

1. I can hear ignition knock when I try to get a quick acceleration

2. Engine overheats.

3. Fuel consumption is about 10 Km/l (In traffic) , 14 Km/l (normal)

And I haven't done any modifications to my engine yet. it has contact breaker points.
My distributor is a symmetric one,plugs are NGK,Lucas Sports Coil.

Another thing, I checked resistance at plug leads, and all of them are near 600 ohms, I know this is well below the expected level (6000 ohms) ,

But ,what happens to the spark when resistance decreases to that level?

-ima

#6 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:22 PM

has it got an ignition moduel at the side of the dizzy, if so then a sports coil will give you a very weak spak. And you ignition timing is far too advanced, just back it off a little at a time untill the pinking stops and the temp goes down a little. do you know whicvh way to turn the dizzy to retard it?

#7 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:02 PM

have a look at your tappets.

remove the rocker cover

check the tappets. 0.012 (0.305mm) if my memory serves me right, these are checked using the rule of nine.

i allways find it easier to remove the spark plugs, to allow easier turning of the engine.

the rule of 9 is basically when valve 1 is fully down check valve clearance on 8
when valve 2 is down check 7 and so on, do them in order of valves opening, remembering to mark which one you started n, so you dont keep doing them over again or miss one out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users