7 replies to this topic

#1 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:45 AM

my engine wont turn off when i switched it off. It runs for about 5 secs and then stops, and fuel consumption is also very expensive,

is it the carb or wrong ignition timing.

-ima

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

Overrun (dieseling) is caused by a pre ignition of the fuel under compression, but is not induced by the spark plug, but normally an overly hot part of the chamber..

The usual cause is an overly hot engine, which in turn can be caused by a weak fuel/air mixture..

Again you fuel consumption will be affected as you be booting the car to get anywhere or running with the choke pulled out slightly.

May be worth giving the jet a 1/4 turn anti clockwise ( on the bottom of your carb HS4 ) which will richen the mixture a tad, but it sounds like it could do with a tune.

Thread from a couple of months ago... engine not turning off right

Edited by GuessWorks, 24 March 2005 - 12:10 PM.

#3 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

Mine ran on when I used unleaded and Lead replacement bought from halfords... I now use LRP at petrol stations (the red pump) and it doesnt run on at all. Admittedly I have to carry some lead replacement in the boot as LRP is sometimes hard to find!

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:44 PM

Also, what speed does the engine idle at, mine used to idle at about 1500 which caused it to run on. One tip I've been told is to depress the clutch the as soon as you take your foot off the clutch turn the engine off.

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:26 PM

themanlegend, LRP is being phased out. and to be honest is pap.... unregulated unleaded petrol with whatever the garage feels like sticking in it...

If I were you, go back to the Unleaded with a suitable Additive, ( Castrol Valvemaster or Plus if you want to up the octane ) and get the car tuned it'll last a lot longer in the long run...

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

Yea, I use BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax with Castrol Valvemaster Plus and never had any real problems with that set up.

#7 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:06 PM

Oh right. I used to use Vavlemaster plus and even after I had the points and timing done it still ran on for anything from 2-10 seconds....

I am saving to get a stage 3 head and that will run on unleaded... I know its only a small thing but it got annoying opening the boot, measuring the additive out, putting it away again... blah blah... altohugh I get that its better than LRP now.. strange how it ran on so much though.

#8 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:37 PM

the ignition timing is well out for the fuel your using. either use higher octance fuel, or getting the timing reset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users