8 replies to this topic

#1 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:12 PM

My daughter has just won an eBay auction for a mini - hopefully a bit of a bargain. There are a couple of questions I have which I am sure the knowledge on the forum can help with.

1) The current owner has not got the V5 for the car - he bought it on December 23rd last year and has not received one yet. He does have the slip from the bottom of the previous V5 with his details on it, and has managed to tax the car since getting it. The DVLA won't help over the phone, although one part of it has said their is no police interest in the car and they would not have a problem issuing a new V5 if we send in the appropriate form with the slip. Does this sound safe to hand over the money?? I will offer a deposit (subject to HPI check - they won't offer their full warranty if he hasn't got the V5) and full payment when we have a V5 in our name and see what he says. Alternatively, does nayone have access to the vehicle register :grin:

2) Where is the chassis number on a '98 R reg mini - I only have experience of older ones and want to check the number against the one on the copy of the old certificate he has.

Looking forward to your help.

Cheers

Andy

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

The VIN number is stamped into the VIN plate, which is on the inner wing just above the bonnet slam panel. The VIN is also stamped into the inside of the bonnet gutter, at the rear of the bonnet directly in front of the (rhd) drivers seat. You may need to lift the gutter seal to be able to read it.

#3 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:33 PM

Cheers Dan, that is where I would have looked, but nice to know it is the place.

The seller has agreed to accept a deposit and let us apply for the registration document and pay the balance when it turns up - I actually now trust that it will be OK but may as well wait for the proper docs to be in place.

Andy

#4 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

Having now done an HPI check it turns out the car is a category D following damage in June last year. The price we are getting it for may make this acceptable, but with the other issues I am not sure now, partly due to the possible effect on re-sale value. What does anyone think?

The damage was to the front end which the eBay ad mentioned, but it did say it was not recorded so we can walk away from the deal without problem. What seems strange to me is that it has almost certainly had new wings and front panel (there is no rust on these at all, which for a '98 is probably unusual) but the A panels were not replaced, and do have some rust on them. If I had been replacing wings I would have done the A panels at the same time to get rid of the rust and add to the value, rather than save cost. Makes me suspicious about the quality of work, or am I paranoid (probably!!!).

Andy

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

Category "D" accident damaged vehicles are exempted from the VIC checking which was brought in in april 2003 to combat the car cut'n'shut and ringing parctices,

The Cat "D" meant that the the car was deemed repairable but the insurance company decided, that to minimise overheads, they would write the car off. This normally happens when there is an extended repair period and things like hire cars are involved etc which pushes the claim value up ! and unfortunately minis are not the quickest cars to be repaired as they still involve the skill of welding as opposed to bolt a new panel on !

When the V5 comes back, there should be no reference to this on it.

as a side line...

Cat "C" means the car was damaged again but the cost of repair was greater than the surrender value of the vehicle itself. These can still be repaired ( eg New shell ) and put back on the roaud byt they are subject to a VIC, which will be recorded on the V5.

Cat "A" and "B" are right messes which generally should not re-appear...

These categories are a voluntary code of practice between the Insurance and salvage insudtries so are open to interpretation.

#6 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for that - have decided that provided it lloks and drives OK when I look at it again, and the registration details all check out we will buy it anyway.

Cheers

Andy

#7 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

Close inspection of it showed that the original damage wasn't bad, but the repair was so i have walked away from the purchase. He wasn't happy about it, threatened a bit, but when pointed out that the advert mis-described the car accepted we were not going to buy. Outcome is, still looking for a Mini to buy!

#8 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:43 PM

sorry to hi-jack the thread but my project car has had the inner wing replaced and the vin number on the old inner wing was not salvaged. can i get a new vin plate or am i buggered?

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

i think minimail do them but you have to send them your log book

01989 720111

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users