3 replies to this topic

#1 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:49 PM

ok this may be a stupid question, but how do you correctly put the cylinder head studs back into the block once theyve been removed? I was going to use the old 'two nuts locked together then turn the top one' trick, but surely there must be a specific torque? or is fingertight ok, surely not? or is the torque you put into the studs (using the 2nutslockedtogether method) the same as you should use for the nuts?! :P

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

Mine were loose enough to run in by hand. It isn't necessarily advisable to tighten them into the block. Where the stud threads end you may start deforming or damaging the tapped holes in the block if you run them in with jam nuts. Again, I ran mine in by hand until they stopped running freely. When you torque the nuts while putting the head back on, the studs will tighten a bit in the block anyway.

#3 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:04 PM

As Doug says, but dont forget to clean the threads in the block first

Siggy

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:34 AM

ARP suggest 6 lbft for head stubs in cast iron blocks, so finger tight is normally fine.

Absolutely do not do them up to the same figure as the head nuts. The block end of the stud has a course thread and if you turn them in that far they'll stretch way too much and probably chew out the thread in the block since it's only in grey iron. The course thread holds very well.

And as Siggy says, they need to be clean and dry (both the threads in the block and on the studs) when you fit them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users